At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
Responsible for the execution of all Auto Electrical work and Air-conditioning repairs on various vehicles, Earth moving machineries and ancillary equipment to ensure maximum operational performance is achieved in a safe and cost effective manner while ensuring compliance with relevant procedures, polices, legal requirements and consent conditions.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Perform auto electrical work on vehicles and heavy equipment machinery.
- Adhere to the company’s planned and preventive maintenance schedules and procedures.
- Respond to unplanned breakdowns when on duty timeously.
- Inspect electrical systems, equipment, and components to identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair.
- Diagnose error codes and repair electrical faults in various vehicles and machinery
- Maintain work area/s in a satisfactory condition and ensure compliance with Workplace Health and Safety requirements
- Maintain the correct and safe usage of all hand tools and company property within your section.
- Other duties as instructed by the Supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement principles.
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and improve team safety awareness.
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ).
- Can demonstrate understanding of mobile equipment electrical circuit analysis, troubleshooting, installation and repair.
- Proven ability to maintain, repair, wire, and install auto electrical components including electrical harnesses, starter motors, alternators, valves, solenoids.
- Install Black Box units and start interrupt
- Be able to program Black Box units
Key Job Attributes
- Able to handle work with a great sense of professionalism
- Possesses good organizational skills
- Identify repairs required via abnormal wear and tear, and advise the shift supervisor.
- Maintain a professional approach to duties and responsibilities with the capability of making timely, rational decisions and an ability to meet deadlines.
- Act with honesty and integrity in all areas: maintain confidentiality in dealings with subordinates, clients and customers.
- Demonstrate accuracy, time management and organizational skills.
- Maintain a professional work ethic through effective, honest communication with supervisors, peers, and subordinates.
- Commitment to reach or exceed maintenance, operational and safety goals.
- Work effectively in a team environment, supporting other team members when needed.
- The ability and drive to manage maintenance work group in a technically challenging and geographically remote maintenance environment.
- Sound planning, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in English
Qualifications and Experience
- Full grade twelve (12) certificate
- Craft Certificate/ Diploma in Automotive Electrical
- At least 3 years’ working experience in heavy equipment operations preferably in the mining environment.
- Knowledge in Basic First Aid and Basic Health and Safety
- Experience in Automotive Air-conditioning will be in benefit
- Experience in some or all of the following machines: Volvo AF40, Bell B25, Komatsu Dozers; D65, D155, D275, Liebherr Dozers, Volvo Excavators; EC210, EC290, EC300 and EC700, Volvo wheel loaders; L120F, L220H, Bomag BW212, BW219 and Iveco Road Trucks
- Valid Driver’s license