Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company Limited
The Mission of the Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company Limited is to provide quality water and sanitation services to customers in Lusaka Province in a commercially and environmentally sustainable manner. In order to achieve this, the Company must ensure that staff with the right knowledge, skills and abilities are available as required. LWSC now seeks to recruit dynamic and energetic persons who are performance driven, and invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced Zambians to fill the following vacant position:
Environmental Safeguard Specialist (No. Required: 1 – Fixed-Term contract)
To ensure that project activities are implemented in line with the requirements of the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF), Zambian Environmental Laws, World Bank, EIB and AfDB Safeguard Standards.
- Participates in preparation of ESMF, Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), and RPF documents to ensure compliance with World Bank, AfDB and EIB Safeguards Standards and Regulations.
- Conducts field visits to work sites to ensure compliance to project safeguard requirements and implementation schedules, and provides guidance on environmental and social management concerns to avert risks that may arising during project construction and operation, and recommends corrective measures.
- Supervises consultants carrying safeguards studies such as Strategic Environmental Social Assessments (SESA), ESIAs and Resettlement Action Plans (RAP).
- Prepares Terms of Reference and Interim Payment Certificates for completed deliverables for consultants as per agreed terms.
- Participates in preparing management responses to international financiers, ZEMA, Government ministries, Government agencies and other key stakeholders.
- Undertakes periodic monitoring of progress on implementation of environmental and social safeguards, including lessons learned, through environment audits.
- Ensures environmental and social mitigation measures are in place for project implementation by avoiding and where possible, minimizing negative impacts or resettlement issues by reviewing designs with Project Consultants.
- Monitors the undertakings of the Contractors Environmental and Social Monitoring Plan (CESMP) by carrying out scheduled and random environmental audits to ensure adherence to approved CESMP and RAP during implementation.
- Ensures that public consultation is carried out for all safeguard activities and facilitates for disclosure activities in accordance with ZEMA and International Financiers Institutions (IFIs) safeguards requirements.
- Maintains an updated library of various safeguards documents for future referencing.
- Liaises with ZEMA and IFIs in preparation of safeguards documents to ensure timely completion and adequacy of reports.
- Participates in preparation of annual work plans and budgeting on all safeguard activities.
- Produces weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports on Safeguards as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Masters’ Degree in Environmentally related discipline.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Sciences or any related field (Chemistry, Biological Sciences, and Natural Resources) with minimum 15 years working experience.
- Should have hands on experience in both preparation and implementation of ESIAs and RAPs and their implementation.
- Should have in-depth knowledge of the ZEMA EIA Regulations and International Financiers safeguards standards, particularly for World Bank, AfDB and EIB.
- Should demonstrate acute understanding of, and hands-on experience of contract management of Consultants.
- Should be familiar with environmental compliance and monitoring of projects.
- Must be familiar with stakeholder engagement, scoping and public disclosure processes.
- Must be a member of the Impact Assessment Association of Zambia (IAAZ).
- Should be a self-starter and able to work long hours with minimum supervision
- Should have good communication skills with the aptitude to interpret data
- Must have computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project
- Must be a team player with multitasking skills
- Must have adequate knowledge of Project Management.
- Must have the ability to review safeguards instruments and provide adequate guidance to both management and consultants
Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company values the provision of equal employment opportunities. Therefore, women, men and persons with disability are all encouraged to apply.
All applications together with photocopies of certificates, detailed curriculum vital should reach the Director Human Resources and Administration no later than 14th December 2018.
Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company Limited
Plot No. 871, Katemo Road
Post Office Box 50198
Applications can also be posted electronically to [email protected] before 17.00 hours on the closing date.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com