Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company Limited
LUSAKA WATER AND SEWERAGE COMPANY LIMITED
The Mission of the Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company Limited is to provide quality water and sanitation services to customers in Lusaka Province at commercially and environmentally sustainable levels. In order to achieve this, the Company endeavours to ensure that adequate staff with the right skills are available as required. LWSC now seeks to recruit a dynamic and energetic person who is performance driven, and invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced Zambians to fill the following vacant positions:
Environmental Safeguards Specialist — 1 position on Fixed-Term Contract (Re-advertised)
Ensures that project activities are implemented in line with the requirements of the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF), Zambian Environmental Laws, World Bank, EIB and AfDB Safeguards Standards.
- Participates in preparation of ESMFs, Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIA) and the Resettlement Policy Framework to ensure compliance within World Bank, AfDB and EIB safeguards standards and regulations.
- Conducts field visits to work sites to familiarize with the project safeguards requirements and implementation status, and provides guidance on environmental and social management concerns that will occur during project construction, implementation and operation, and recommends corrective measures.
- Supervises consultants conducting safeguards studies such as Strategic Environmental Social Assessment (SESAs), ESlAs and ResettlementAction Plans (RAP).
- Prepares Terms of Reference (ToRs) and interim payment certificates for completed deliverables for consultants as per ToRs.
- Participates in the preparation of feedback and responses to international financiers including the World Bank, AfDB, EIB, and key stakeholders such as ZEMA, Government Ministries, and Government Agencies.
- Undertakes periodic monitoring of progress on implementation of environmental and social safeguards including lessons learned and strategic direction through environment audits.
- Ensures that environmental and social mitigation measures are in place for project implementation by avoiding or minimizing negative impacts/resettlement issues by reviewing designs with Project Consultants.
- Monitors the undertakings of the Contractors Environmental and Social Monitoring Plan (CESMP) by carrying out scheduled and random Environmental Audits to ensure adherence to approved CESMP and RAP during implementation.
- Ensures public consultation is carried out for all safeguards activities and facilitates disclosure activities in accordance with ZEMA and IFls Safeguards requirements.
- Maintains an updated library of various safeguards documents for future referencing.
- Constantly liaises with ZEMA and IFIs in the preparation of safeguards documents to ensure timely completion and adequacy of reports.
- Participates in preparation of annual work plans and budgeting on all safeguards activities.
- Produces weekly, monthly, quarterly and Annual Reports on Safeguards as required.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Sciences or any related field (Chemistry,
- Biological Sciences, and Natural Resources) with minimum 5 years working experience.
- Should have hands on experience in both preparation and implementation of ESIA and RAP and its implementation.
- Should have in-depth knowledge of the ZEMA EIA Regulations and International Financiers
- Safeguards Standards (World Bank,AfDB and EIB).
- Should have an understanding of contracts management of consultants.
- Should be familiar environmental compliance monitoring of projects.
- Must be familiar with stakeholderengagement, scoping and public disclosure processes.
- Member of Impact Assessment Association of Zambia (IAAZ).
- Should be a self-starter and able to work long hours with minimum supervision
- Must have demonstrably good communication skills with the aptitude to interpret data
- Must have computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project
- Must be a team player with multitasking skills
- Should possess adequate knowledge of Project Management.
- Must have the ability to review safeguards instruments and provide adequate guidance to both management and consultants
Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company values the provision of equal employment opportunities.
Therefore, women, men and persons with disability are all encouraged to apply.
All applications together with photocopies of certificates, and a detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Director Human Resources and Administration no later than 1 4th February 2019.
Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company Limited
Plot No. 871, Katemo Road
Post Office Box 50198