Development Aid from People to People (DAPP) is inviting suitably qualified and experienced persons to apply for a full-time position as Finance Manager, for the Clothes and Shoes Fundraising Project. The Clothes and Shoes Project is the income generating arm of DAPP which raises funds by selling second hand clothes and shoes.
The project is receiving second hand clothes and shoes in containers from Europe and distribute them through its 2 warehouses to its 35 Fundraising Retail shops across 9 provinces. The Fundraising project employs over 300 staff.
DAPP registered in 1990 as a national non-profit association with its Headquarters in Ndola. The objective of DAPP is, through the implementation of projects, to empower people with knowledge, skills and tools to improve their living conditions. DAPP seeks to build hope and to make disadvantaged people to stick together to fend for their family and community.
DAPP works through projects in the areas of health, child development, primary education, teacher training, human rights, economic empowerment, agriculture and environment. The income from the Clothes and Shoes Project supports DAPP in running these projects in combination with funding from national and international partners. DAPP has over 1500 staff on the payroll and is a member of the International Federation Humana People to People.
The position of Finance Manager for the Clothes and Shoes Fundraising Project is based in Ndola.
1. Job summary/key rsponsibilities
- Realize the intended targets and deadlines for the finance & accounts department of the DAPP Clothes and Shoes Fundraising Project in all terms
- Organize and lead the C&S accounts office’s activities inclusive day to day management of staff, provide support, guidance, discipline and build the team.
- Ensure and control that all managers and staff in the C&S project are following the administrative / accounting and reporting standards / internal rules in all aspects
- Control income, expenses, payments as well as stock and inventory – identify, report and take action on irregularities if any, including shortages of stock and money
- Monitor actual operating performance against the budget, analyse sales and spending trends and provide feedback and analysis to the leadership team
- Participate in the preparation of preconditions and consolidation of annual budgets.
- Prepare for and participate in monthly and quarterly meetings.
- Plan and ensure the C&S accounts office’s timely production, complete book keeping and accounting, reconciliation and submission of reports according to internal systems and controls, financial reporting requirements and statutory regulations.
- Prepare the Chart of Accounts which fits with the C&S budget lines that is agreed with the leadership team and the Chief Finance Manager.
- Develop and maintain the accounting systems, accurately ensuring expenditure against correct accounting codes, prepare monthly financial reports, expenditure reports and any other reports as requested.
- Manage daily control of sales income and ensure proper recording of income and banking by devising and following laid down systems and procedures.
- Review and reconcile the payroll ensuring that staff receive the correct contractual salaries and emoluments as per agreed schedules, verify that deductions are correct and that correct returns are made to the tax authorities.
- Ensure that all procured assets are bookkept and recorded as per internal policy, that all assets are coded and branded according to branding policy and that the C&S asset register is updated monthly.
- Ensure that all shop managers/assistant shop managers and other shop staff involved are acquainted with the established accounting and reporting systems and/or any changes thereof and that they are followed at all times. Orient and guide them as required.
- Maintain and ensure complete and up to date accounting records, accounts documents and books of accounts, maintain good filing systems and that back-ups of digital data are done frequently as per internal policy, including virus protection.
- Control that all payments are done according to the relevant internal regulations, documentation requirements and approval processes.
- Reconcile / ensure monthly reconciliation of all debtor & creditor accounts, loans, staff related accounts, bank & cash accounts.
- Prepare monthly stock reconciliations and valuations
- Prepare, coordinate and participate, in collaboration with warehouse and administration managers, the quarterly and year-end stock taking at all shops and warehouses.
Audit/Compliance / Risk management
- Ensure that appropriate financial systems and controls are in place and compliance with internal finance policies and procedures, as well as audit procedures and requirements
- Plan for, prepare, facilitate and participate in internal and external audits. Address external auditors and government offices only as agreed with the Chief Finance Manager.
- Ensure compliance with all local, national and, where relevant, international legal, professional and statutory requirements including the anti-money laundering and Anti-Corruption Act of Zambia.
- Conduct random spot checks in shops/warehouses to determine compliance with set rules and regulations.
- Assist in the development of financial and administrative policies and procedures for the smooth running of the project.
- Implement and provide expert advice regarding the implementation of Finance Policies and Procedures for the Clothes & Shoes Fundraising Project.
- Ensure maintenance of computers and other office equipment in the accounts/administration office.
- Coordinate the supply of office consumables
- Ensure that correct monthly time sheets are submitted by all staff.
- Ensure that the drivers of DAPP vehicles maintain vehicles properly with up-to-date logbooks, that cash and fuel and all other expenses relating to motor vehicles are kept up to date and that all road taxes and insurance is up to date and sufficient to requirements.
2. Required qualifications
- Full ACCA, ZICA, Bachelor of Accountancy degree or equivalent.
- Working Knowledge of Accounting software such as PASTEL
- Fellow of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA).
- At least five (5) years’ experience managing finances and operations of a comparable set up
- Experience in Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) is desirable
3. Preferred qualities
- Must have strong demonstrated leadership qualities, depth and breadth of technical and management expertise and experience
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and oral presentation skills
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective member of a team
- High level of self-motivation, precision and commitment to results
- Very good communication skills and abilities
- Ability and willingness to work extra hours
- Have integrity, honest and non-corrupt attitude to all business and staff dealings
- Team builder and has strong ethics.
- Service-minded leadership style that actively promotes that each staff member succeeds through control and support
4. Application Method
- Applications with detailed CV and minimum 3 referees must be received by 10th of January, 2020. The cover letter and CV must be one document in MS WORD or PDF, and the applicant’s name must be the document title.
- Indicate the job title as the subject of your email.
- Do not attach certificates and other documentation at this stage.
- Please submit to these emails: [email protected] and [email protected].
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If selected for in-person interviews, you will be provided with a written assessment as well.