At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
To gather and interpret geological data about the Kansanshi copper deposit for the purpose of increasing understanding through RC drilling operations.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Implementation, interpretation and reporting of RC drilling activities.
- Coordinate sampling and compliance to protocols.
- Geological chip logging, QA/QC, data collection and management for RC drilling activities.
- Supervision of field assistants, technicians and team leaders.
- Supervision of drilling contractor.
- Daily and monthly reporting.
- Undertaking in geological project work related to RC drilling activities as directed by the Senior Mine Geologist.
- A strong commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
- Manage RC drilling programmes that will delineate an array of complex geological features in the Kansanshi deposit.
- Liaise with Senior mine geologist to evaluate current drill pattern design and ensure they remain practical, given increased geological knowledge and changes to ore domains in the deposit.
- Ensure all drilling and sampling works are carried out in the safest possible manner.
- Manage the drilling contractors and ensure drilling contractor (s) conform to quality and safety, standards as stipulated in the drilling contract.
- Manage the flow of sample data from the pit through to the lab and into the database.
- Liaise with the data base administrator to ensure that data is accurate and stored securely.
- Coordinate QA/QC programs, highlight and resolve accuracy and precision issues with the onsite laboratory.
- Continued development of global best practice sampling standards and procedure.
- Other duties as directed by the Senior Mine Geologist.
- Minimum of a Full Grade 12 certificate
- Bachelor of Science (Geology) or Bachelor’s degree plus Honours in Geology, Mining Geology or equivalent
A minimum of 3 years relevant experience in grade control and production Geology
- Bold initiative
- Thinking safely
- Upholding quality
- Technical Skill
- Driving quantity
- Driving attendance
- Valid drivers’ license – Manual
- Exposure to dust, heat, noise and chemicals
- Understanding and ability to conduct and report on Industrial Hygiene requirements.
- Ability to work and effectively communicate with various levels of management and Mines Safety Department personnel.
- Firm understanding of geological systems and processes and how they integrate with mining production and mineral resource management; grade control experience is a must.
- Good working knowledge of technical software (Surpac, Datamine or Mapinfo/ Leap Frog 3D).
- Knowledge of LIMS systems would be advantageous.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- An eye for detail and the ability to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Able to work in a dynamic team environment.
- Methodical approach to everyday tasks and problem solving.