The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The GIZ Agriculture and Food Security (AgriFood) Cluster in Zambia aims at contributing to improve climate-resilient agricultural production and competitiveness along selected value chains (in order to increase incomes of small and medium farmers), to improve access to agricultural finance and to improve the food and nutrition situation of poor rural households. Since 2020, the AgriFood Cluster is supporting agricultural extension work with the approach Participatory Integrated Climate Services in Agriculture (PICSA).
The objective of a new measure in this regard is to provide an improved digital information base for a gender-sensitive adaptation of smallholder agriculture to the consequences of climate change. This measure develops fully automated, sustainable, and quality checked systems providing location specific historical climate information and forecasts for Zambia. The service is co-developed with meteorologists, farmers and agricultural field staff.
In this context, the project is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Junior Advisor for Climate Change (based in Chipata)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Assisting the project manager with the management of project activities, including administrative and logistical processes
- Support the coordination with partners and stakeholders
- Support the steering of local subsidies and grants
- Assisting project manager with monitoring and evaluation as well as reporting
- Support the implementation of trainings and study tours through local partners
- Participating in a set of additional activities including supporting the project implementation and synergies with other projects of the GIZ AgriFood Cluster
Qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Agriculture, Development Studies or related field
- At least 1-2 years’ professional experience in the field of development cooperation, monitoring, public entities or research institutions
- Professional experience related to climate services in agriculture is an additional advantage
Other knowledge, additional competences:
- Good working knowledge of ICT (related software, email, the internet) and computer applications (MS Office and online databases)
- Experience in project management, planning or research in an area related to the project’s requirements is desirable
- Fluency in English, both written and oral, and fluency of at least one of the following local languages: Bemba, Nyanja, Tonga or Lozi
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organisational skills and ability to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Ability to work responsibly, effectively and in a target-oriented manner
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures to be agreed with management
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ, on a fixed-term contract. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters electronically, quoting the reference GIZ_AgriFood_JRCC_CIP in the subject line to: [email protected] by 15:00 hrs on Friday, 1 July 2022.
Applications must meet the following criteria:
- Cover letters must be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience with agricultural finance and agricultural extension work. In the third paragraph outline your experience with digital learning tools.
- CVs must not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.