The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The Agriculture and Food Security Cluster is comprised of four projects, which are part of the global initiative One World – No Hunger (SEWOH): Green Innovation Centres for the Agriculture and Food Sector (GIC), Food and Nutrition Security and Enhanced Resilience (FANSER), Promotion of Agricultural Finance for Agri-based Enterprises in Rural Areas (AgFin) and Fish for Food Security (F4F). Zambia is one of many African countries in which SEWOH is being implemented. SEWOH is a BMZ special initiative addressing the two challenges hunger and malnutrition. The key objectives are to increase income, employment and eradicate hunger and malnutrition by creating access to sufficient, affordable and healthy food and to create a framework to ensure that future generations will also have sufficient, affordable and nutritious food in spite of the rapidly expanding world population. In Zambia specifically, the Agriculture and Food Security Cluster is working on increasing regional food supplies and promoting access to and better use of financial services in the project’s rural target areas in Eastern, Southern and Luapula Provinces. Two bilateral projects in the same sector and with similar target groups and objectives are also part of the Cluster.
In order to meet the cluster’s growing needs, GIZ is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the following position:
Junior Administrative Specialist (Chipata based)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Manage the reception desk including correspondence, distribution and filing according to GIZ regulations
- Processing of Local contracts (up to 2,500 euros) with the support from the Finance and Contracts Manager in Lusaka
- Procurements and tenders (up to 5,000 euros) with the support from the Procurement and Logistics Specialist in Lusaka for the projects within the AgriFood cluster
- Logistics for workshops, trainings, conferences and meetings within Eastern Province (up to 10,000 euros) with the support from the Procurement and Logistics officer in Lusaka for the projects within the AgriFood cluster
- Travel preparations for staff such as flight bookings and hotel reservations within Zambia
- Substitute for the Senior Admin Specialist in terms of logistical support
- Inventory of items procured for FANSER, AgFin, F4F and GIC projects in line with GIZ rules and regulations and monitor availability of stock
- Report damage/defects in office furnishings and equipment immediately to project management and organize and follow up on maintenance and repair
Other duties/additional tasks
- Performing other tasks at the request of management
Qualifications and requirements
- Diploma in Business Administration or a comparable field
- At least 2-3 years’ work experience in a comparable position with references
Other knowledge, additional competences:
- Good command of English, both written and oral
- Good knowledge of the widely spoken languages in Zambia
- Sensitivity in handling and disposing of documents which may be important
- Reliability and good organizational skills
- Must be trustworthy and proactive
- Appropriate appearance and attire
The successful candidate will be expected to start employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send the CV and a cover letter electronically, quoting the reference GIZ_AGR_JADS in the subject line to: [email protected] by 17:00hrs on Friday 3rd June 2022. GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Cover letters must be sent using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience in the position
- CVs must be submitted in PDF not exceeding three (3) pages. Do not indicate your marital status, religion, Political affiliation or insert your photo.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. Therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.