The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The Capacity for Nutrition – National Information Platforms for Nutrition (C4N-NIPN) is one of three components of the global programme ‘Knowledge for Nutrition (K4N)’. As a joint action, K4N supports the European Commission (EC), its partners as well as the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) with competence and knowledge to inform nutrition-related programmes and policies through evidence-based approaches and strategies. C4N is a key element of the EC’s ‘Nutrition for Development’ (N4D) Programme, which underpins the implementation of the EU ‘Action Plan for Nutrition (APN)’. Launched in 2015, NIPN is an EC initiative, providing support in nine countries for better nutrition information systems and to improve data management and analysis for better-informed strategic decisions. Working with national institutions and partners, GIZ directly supports the implementation of existing country-level platforms in Ethiopia and Niger and will support the establishment of a new platform in Zambia as of 2023. The platforms develop and run national multisectoral management information systems on nutrition that are linked to global data analysis.
The NIPN project will be one of the projects under the GIZ Agriculture and Food Security (AgriFood) Cluster Zambia. The projects under the AgriFood Cluster aim at contributing to the food and nutrition situation of poor rural households, climate-resilient agricultural production and competitiveness along selected value chains in order to increase incomes of small and medium farmers) and to improve access to agricultural finance.
In this context, GIZ is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Data Advisor (Lusaka based)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development to promote the elaboration of more complex data analysis methodology in the field of nutrition including the integration of qualitative data into the existing descriptive data analyses
- Strengthen and improve the existing data quality assurance processes and the elaboration of a monitoring plan to assess data quality
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development for partners to manage the processes to maintain the multisectoral nutrition data management system in Zambia and enhance accessibility to data for all nutrition stakeholders
- Be responsible for the development of a NIPN website as well as a web interface to present NIPN outputs and provide technical assistance and capacity development for maintenance by partner organizations
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development for partners to manage processes for nutrition-relevant data mapping among the various sectoral departments, governmental and non-governmental agencies and the possible integration in a national nutrition data dashboard
- Work with partners in the conceptualization and delivery of training of national staff to build capacity in advanced statistical tools and the drafting and publication of results
- Contribute to the planning and operationalization of the platform through active participation in relevant national technical fora
- Support the elaboration of a sustainability plan concerning institutionalizing data management and IT presence in view of the continuation of NIPN platform after project end
- University degree (M.Sc. or higher) in Statistics, Epidemiology, Health Economics, Public Health, Social sciences or related fields
- At least 7 years of professional experience working with national statistics systems in a nutrition-related sector, knowledge of DHIS.2 would be an asset
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience supporting the development of complex data analysis methodology and protocols, including proficiency in using statistical software like STATA, SPSS, R software for statistical computing and graphics
- Proven experience of at least 5 years in the development and delivery of trainings to strengthen capacity development skills in the areas of data analysis and data management, data mapping and reporting, as well as website management
- Professional experience with stakeholder management on the interpretation of findings derived from nutrition data analyses (including organization of and presentation in workshops)
- Experience in promoting and improving the coordination among the various stakeholders of national statistics systems, for example in establishing processes and protocols for centralized data repository
- Team orientation, flexibility within a rapidly changing environment, high degree of intrinsic motivation to achieve results, as well as ability to deliver goal-oriented results on time
Other Knowledge, additional competences
- Fluent in English both written and spoken (C1), knowledge of German and French is an asset
- Must be computer literate with good working knowledge of ICT and relevant applications for research, effective report writing and presentations (e.g., MS Office Suite – especially PowerPoint, etc.)
- Good time management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters electronically quoting GIZ_NIPN_DA in the subject line to: [email protected] by 17:00 hrs on Tuesday, 24th January 2023. GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Cover letters MUST be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position and explain in the second paragraph why you would be the best suited candidate.
- CVs MUST not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF. Do not indicate your marital status, religion, Political affiliation or insert your photo.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. MUST not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.