The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The Decentralization for Development programme (D4D IV) is designed to strengthen the implementation capacity, especially the financial capacity to act, of the Zambian local government system. Councils in Southern and Luapula Provinces are the main partners of the programme at sub-national level.
In this context, GIZ is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Governance Advisor (Lusaka based)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Supporting stakeholders to implement change management measures that back the decentralisation reform
- Support communication strategies regarding the changes (in laws, regulations, policies, structures, processes, and procedures) taking place because of the decentralisation reform.
- Support stakeholders (Cabinet Office, MLGRD, LGSC etc.) to develop their organisational development in line with their mandates and the anticipated changes
- Support partners in their knowledge management efforts
- Support the coordination of key stakeholders in the implementation of decentralisation reform as outlined in the revised National Decentralisation Policy (NDP) and the Decentralisation Implementation Plan (DIP) (2023-2026)
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
Technical support to implementation of the programme
- Support the further development and implementation of the change management strategy of Decentralisation Secretariat
- Support the communication of effected/anticipated changes during the implementation of the decentralisation reform by Government
- Support MLGRD in the implementation of Local Government Management Information System (LGMIS) in selected partner Councils
- Work with the Local Government Association of Zambia (LGAZ) on the implementation and sustenance of the knowledge management desk
- Work with Chalimbana Local Government Institute (CLGTI) to implement the transformative training policy
- Support the Local Government Service Commission (LGSC) in using the web-based Human Resource Management tool
General management support to the programme
- Attends and participates in the team meetings of the programme
- Provides input arising from the work process into the programme’s monitoring and evaluation system
Other duties/ additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks as requested by management
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Master’s Degree in Political Science or Public Administration. A background in economics will be an added advantage
- At least 5 years of work experience in the public sector
- Organisational management competence
- Project management skills
- Change management consulting experience
- Proven experience in creating and implementing strategic change plans
Other Other Knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be computer literate with good working knowledge of ICT and relevant applications
- Good time management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters electronically quoting GIZ_D4DIV_GVA_LSK in the subject line to: [email protected] by 17:00 hrs on Friday, 27th January 2023. GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Cover letters MUST be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position and explain in the second paragraph why you would be the best suited candidate.
- CVs MUST not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF. Do not indicate your marital status, religion, Political affiliation or insert your photo.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. MUST not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.