The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The GIZ programme “Promoting efficient and transparent local governance in Zambia” (GIZ D4D) is funded by the Federal German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development to support Zambia’s decentralization process. At the local level the programme works with the local governments in Southern Province and Luapula Province to strengthening their capacities in managing development processes, enhancing their own source revenues, promoting citizen participation and improving local public service delivery.
Local governments in Luapula Province face significant challenges in delivering public services to citizens across this large, mostly rural province. Geographic barriers like poor road infrastructure connecting remote villages make service delivery difficult and expensive. Provincial and district budgets are limited, hampering the ability to maintain public amenities. Dissatisfaction with unreliable service and provision and high poverty levels constrain revenue collection through local taxes. These budget and resource constraints are compounded by limited technical capabilities within local administrations to effectively plan, manage, and maintain the delivery of essential services like water, sanitation, waste management, healthcare, education and local infrastructure. Weak accountability mechanisms also undermine quality of service provision.
GIZ D4D supports Local Governments in Luapula Province in finding innovative ways to address these challenges, and to improve the provision of local services that are needed by citizen in their districts. In this context, GIZ is therefore seeking a suitable candidate to fill the following position:
Junior Public Service Delivery Advisor (based in Mansa)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
The Junior Advisor carries out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide on a needs-based principle technical and process advisory to Local Authorities on improving administrative and infrastructure services
- Support the design and implementation of innovative pilot measures to improve citizen-oriented public service delivery in selected local authorities (e.g. related to e-services, solid waste management, WASH services, recreational spaces etc.)
- Support the Programme’s Senior Governance Advisor and the Technical Coordinator for Luapula Province in the institutionalization of best practices (e.g. official adaptation by council, process mapping, manuals etc.)
- In liaison with the Provincial Local Government office, promote exchanges on and upscaling of good practices and successful pilots
- Support the Planning and Public Engagement Advisor in identifying and implementing citizens’ priorities and sensitizing and educating citizen and/or representative groups (e.g. WDCs, NGOs, Associations) on new or improved public services and the link between public service delivery and revenue collection
- Support the Revenue Advisor in improving the financial situation of Local Authorities through improved service delivery
- Closely collaborate with the WASH Advisor of the GIZ SiWAS project as well as the GIZ D4D Development Advisor on WASH related activities in Luapula
- Promote knowledge management and organizational learning at district, provincial and project level and develop respective knowledge products (e.g. assessments, surveys, presentations etc.) and feedbacks to the national level to improve legal and administrative frameworks
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, Public Administration, Civil Engineering or comparable studies
- More than 2 years of professional work experience in public service provision (administrative and/or infrastructure services)
- More than 1 year of experience working with and/or advising local government on public services
- Professional work experience in at least one of the following areas is required: solid waste management, planning and design of infrastructure, WASH services, public health
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Knowledge of revenue collection processes and administrative processes such as the issuing of business licenses and certificates are an advantage
- Strong communication skills and high affinity with digital tools and solutions is required
- Knowledge in tools and methods for interactive workshop designs and community engagement
- Fluency in English with excellent written and oral skills. Bemba is considered an asset.
The successful candidate will be expected to start employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract.
Application deadline: 10 November 2023
Please understand that we can only accept and process applications via our E-recruiting system. Applications should meet the following criteria:
- Cover letter quoting the reference: GIZ_D4D_PSD_Mansa must be uploaded using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience in the position.
- CVs must be submitted in PDF not exceeding three (3) pages. Do not indicate your marital status, religion, political affiliation or insert your photo.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued – regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background or age.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability. People with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.