At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
- Assisting in the establishing of preventative and responsive Mechanical maintenance and development within the Operations Support Department
- Learn how operational performance is achieved in a safe and cost effective manner, while being trained how to archive compliance with relevant procedures, polices and consent conditions.
- Learn how to update and initialize documents and comply with the Zambian statutory regulations.
Specific Job Responsibility
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Assist and learn regarding; the installation of new Mechanical systems, replacement of old, faulty or redundant Mechanical systems as per the Company and vendor’s safety and quality specifications.
- Assist and learn regarding; the correct hardware interlocking and safety parameter settings for effective and safe operation of all Mechanical equipment.
- Assist and learn regarding; the companies planned and preventative maintenance schedules and procedures.
Reporting and record keeping.
- Report all incidents immediately to the Supervisor.
- Assist and learn regarding; the completion of how safety logbooks are completed, checked and signed according to the procedure.
- Calculation and reporting of mean time to failure and repair.
- Assist and learn regarding; management of stock levels for Mechanical spares and necessary sub-assemblies, which are used on site, to be maintained in the warehouse and report all defective or substandard equipment to your direct supervisor.
Training and development.
- Assist and learn regarding; identifying of needs; for specialised training requirements within your area of responsibility.
- Any other duties as directed by your direct Mechanical supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies
- Assist and learn regarding; how to complete failure analysis reports, cost to benefit reports, mean time to failure calculations.
- Assist and learn regarding; ability to work safely and improve team safety awareness.
- Assist and learn regarding; Mechanical maintenance, welding and fabrication, electrical best practices
- Assist and learn regarding; continuous improvement ideas.
- Ability to quickly adapt to technological changes in Mechanical equipment maintenance, analysis and documenting.
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ).
- Ability to register as a member of the Engineering Registration Board of Zambia (ERB).
Key Job Attributes
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self-disciplined, motivated and organized.
- Organisational skills and the ability to prioritise your workload.
- Motivated to learn and deliver innovation at a technical level.
Experience and Qualifications
- No experience required.
- Ability to read Mechanical drawings.
- Computer literate in the commonly used daily Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, Power-point, MS-Projects).
- BSc degree in Mechanical Engineering from a Zambian institute.
- Valid Zambian driving permit for light & medium vehicles.
- Registered member of EIZ