Mechanical Coordinator x 1 Expart Position
Purpose of the role:
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Mechanical Coordinator to oversee and maintain a fleet of Hitachi mining excavators and Hitachi mining trucks. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in ensuring the efficient operation of these heavy machinery, minimizing downtime, and maximizing productivity in our mining operations. This position requires a strong background in mechanical engineering, excellent problem-solving abilities, and a commitment to safety.
Reports to: Branch Operations Manager
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Mechanical Coordinator will be required to perform the following tasks:
1. Fleet Maintenance
- Lead and manage a team of technicians responsible for maintaining Hitachi mining excavators and trucks.
- Schedule and perform regular inspection, servicing, and repairs to ensure optimal performance and longevity of equipment.
- Develop and maintain a preventive maintenance program to minimize unscheduled downtime.
2. Troubleshooting and Repairs
- Diagnose and resolve complex mechanical and electrical issues in a timely manner to minimize equipment downtime.
- Coordinate with manufacturers and suppliers for replacement parts and ensure their timely availability.
- Analyze breakdown data to identify root causes and implement corrective actions.
3. Safety Compliance
- Ensure that all maintenance and repair activities comply with safety standards and regulations.
- Implement safety procedures, conduct safety training, and investigate any safety incidents or near misses.
4. Budget Management
- Monitor and control the maintenance budget, identifying cost-saving opportunities while maintaining equipment performance.
- Provide cost estimates for major repairs and maintenance projects.
5. Documentation and Reporting
- Maintain accurate records of equipment maintenance, repairs and inspections.
- Generate and present regular reports on equipment performance, maintenance schedules, cost analysis to management.
6. Team Management:
- Recruit, train and supervise a team of mechanical technicians.
- Foster a culture of teamwork, accountability and continuous improvement within the department.
7. Equipment Upgrades and Modifications:
- Evaluate and implement equipment upgrades and modifications to enhance efficiency and safety.
- Collaborate with engineering and operations teams to ensure seamless integration of upgrades.
8. Spare Parts Inventory:
- Manage spare parts inventory, including ordering, organizing, and keeping stock levels optimal.
- Maintain a spare parts catalog and track usage for reordering purposes.
Qualifications & Experience
- Full Grade 12 certificate – Required.
- Diploma/Degree in Mechanical Engineering – Desired but not essential
- Full tradesman/ craft certificate in relevant field – required
- Valid Silicosis certificate
- Valid Driver’s license
- Five (5+) plus years’ experience in Heavy Equipment maintenance, with a focus on mining equipment, preferably Hitachi machinery.
- Strong knowledge of Hitachi mining excavators and trucks, their components, and maintenance requirements.
- Proven experience in Team management and Leadership.
- Familiarity with maintenance software and systems for tracking equipment performance and maintenance history.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of safety regulations and the ability to enforce safety protocols.
- Budget management experience is a plus.
- Valid EIZ professional Certificate
Job Specific Competencies
- Proficient in computer (Excel, word and power point)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Team Leadership
- This position may require on-call availability for emergency repairs and maintenance during non-standard working hours.
- The job may involve occasional travel to different sites for inspections and support.
If you meet the requirements for this job, email your detailed C.V, certified copies of certificates and cover letter in a single document to [email protected], or send your application to:
The Human Resource Manager,
Hitachi Construction Machinery Zambia, Co. Ltd.
KK International Airport Road, Plot 2350/M
P.O. Box 30182, Lusaka.
The closing date for applicants is 3rd November, 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.