Ministry of Health
HIV Prevention Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer (01)
Position Title: HIV Prevention Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer (01)
Location: Ministry of Health Headquarters
Reports to: Assista nt Director — I nfectious diseases
Supervised by HIV Prevention Techn ical Advisor
Liaison with: Directorates of Health Planning and Budgeting and of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) at the Ministry of Health, and the CHAI HIV Prevention team.
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (“CHAI”) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit:
CHAI Zambia’s HIV Prevention Program:
The CHAI HIV Prevention program aims to support the Government of the Republic of Zambia through the Ministry of Health to achieve the following two primary outcomes:
- Locally owned, accountable, integrated, and sustaina ble combination HIV prevention response
- Robust and actionable documentation and dissemination of approaches to support a resilient, adaptable combination H IV prevention program
CHAI will strive to strengthen the combination HIV prevention response in Zambia by advancing integrated prevention programming, leveraging the sustainable epidemiological and programmatic transition of VMMC and by providing lessons to improve the resilience of HIV prevention programs while informing public health program integration and sustainability. This will be done through the provision of technical assistance to the MOH in the development of strategic documents, tools and analysis to support critical management systems and to galvan ize sector-wide partner coordination.
To achieve the outlined objectives, CHAI is seeking an HIV Prevention M&E Officer, who will be seconded to the Infectious Diseases Unit of the Department of Public Health at the Ministry of Health.
S/he will oversee and support all the monitoring, evaluation and learning activities of the HIV Prevention programmes. S/he will be responsible for strengthening M & E indicators for priority HIV prevention interventions in Zambia as well as supporting the development and implementation of a comprehensive and sustainable M&E and Health Information system for HIV Prevention. The incumbent will report to the Assistant Director – Infectious diseases and operate under the supervision of the HIV Prevention Technical Advisor. In addition, the HIV Prevention Officer will be required to liaise with the M&E focal-point persons in two other directorates, namely Health Planning and Budgeting and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E). Furthermore, the HIV Prevention M&E Officer will closely collaborate with the CHAI HIV prevention team and will execute the following tasks:
- Lead all M&E initiatives for the HIV Prevention programme including monitoring data quality, tracking the progress of acnvihes, collect and report key indicators for Pre Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), Condom programming, Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC), HIV Testing Services (HTS), Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) and Key populations (KPs)as required
- Keep abreast with current HIV prevention program data and updates and report on this quarterly
- Provide technical assistance to the HIV Prevention programme staff both at the national, provincial and district levels on monitoring and evaluation
- Collaborate with the HIV prevention officers in the department of public health to ensure that HIV prevention act-ivihes are streamlined according to current data and that HIV prevention ata is being used for decision making
- Support the development and implementation of the M&E Framework/plan as well as the monitoring procedures and tools for the HIV prevention programme.
- Facilitate and support the Ministry of Health in data collection to inform quality programming.
- Support the HIV Prevention Programme teams to perform supervision field visits to ensure the validation and verification of the data collected for accuracy in reporting.
- Collecting and reporting data for evaluation of epidemiological impact and progress towards HIV Prevention goals.
- In collaboration with the HIV Prevention programme officers at both Ministry of Health and National HIV/AIDS Council (NAC), ensure quality and timely reporting and documentation of HIV Prevention activities.
- Support operational research endeavours, documentation, and evidence to guide innovative approaches to HIV Prevention programmes in collaboration with external partners, including CHAI.
- Provide support, as appropriate, into HIV Prevention research concept notes, protocols, ethics applications, data analysis, reporting and drafting papers for publications.
- Apply learnings from M&E activities into improved work planning and project activities.
- Support the development of an HIV Prevennon M&E framework and integration of HIV Prevention indicators into the DHIS2 and HMIS infrastructure for ease of tracking and evaluation.
- Prepare presentations on the use of information systems to collect, store, use and share data as well as the program matic activities that generate and use these data.
- Support the HIV Prevention Technical Advisor to compile National and Sub-National HIV
- Prevention data for informing day to day programme management and decision making.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Demography, Statistics, Social Sciences or any related field with a minimum five (5) years working experience in monitoring and evaluation of HIV programmes.
- Experience with digital health information systems is essential (DHIS2).
- Post graduate training in M&E and prior M&E training is preferred.
- Experience in data collection and reporting tool development (Essential).
- Experience in conducting both qualitative and quantitative research studies and written reports
- Experience working at district, provincial and national level in the Zambian heaIth system is an added advantage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Software (Access, Excel) and internet software
- Proficiency with statistical analysis (SPSS, STATA) and word processing, database, and graphical information system (GIS) software.
Applicants should submit an updated curriculum vitae and cover letter addressed to the Director Human Resources and Administration, Office of the Permanent Secretary – Administration, Ndeke House, Haile Selassie Ave, P.O. Box 30205, Lusaka, Zambia
All Applications indicating the position applied for should be submitted online to [email protected], not later than Friday 13th November, 2020. Please do not attach any academic and professional certificates at this stage.