Website Impact Network
Zambia Impact Network Limited (ZINL) works with the Ministry of General Education in its efforts to achieve universal primary education. Founded in 2009, ZINL is a Zambia-based non-profit organization that is working to improve the quality of education in Zambian community schools. ZINL works in Katete, Sinda and Petauke Districts in Eastern Province. ZINL is an equal opportunity employer. For more information see: www.impactnetwork.org.
The Guidance Counselor is responsible for guiding our grade 7 students to ensuring their success in secondary school and beyond. This position requires strong knowledge of rural primary schools and the transition to secondary schools, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work with young students and help them thrive.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Implement and oversee the secondary school transition across 8 Impact Network schools, ensuring that students are supported during this transition.
- Work with students both one-on-one and in group settings to provide a safe space for them to voice concerns and worries. Evaluate the progress of students and reinforce the sense of accomplishment. Identify behavioral problems or at-risk students and act appropriately.
- Cooperate with parents and teachers as well as other interested parties in a variety of ways.
- Complete assessments and tests, analyse results and provide feedback.
- Collect and analyze student performance in secondary schools to better track students after primary school. Prepare and present reviews on grade 7 student progress. Conduct an annual evaluation of the Impact Network students placed in secondary schools to inform the organisation on ways to improve programming to better prepare students for secondary school.
- Oversee the Impact Network Scholarship, and create objective scholarship criteria, selection methods, and disbursement plan to ensure a streamlined and successful programme.
- Act as a liaison with the secondary schools in the Katete District to ensure Impact Network students are succeeding academically beyond primary schools.
- Work collaboratively with the School Support Officer Supervisor and the Social Programmes Officer to ensure all previous Impact students are safe in secondary school, paying particular attention to female students. Work closely with the Child Protection Team to ensure that safeguarding standards are high and monitored closely.
- Cooperate with the broader team on ways to reengage students who have been at home for many months due to COVID-19. Play a critical role in reintegrating students into the school setting, focusing on social and emotional wellbeing and learning.
- Additional tasks based on organizational needs.
- Candidates should have a college degree in Education, Social Work, or related field as well as 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working as Guidance & Counselling personnel in a school or similar setting to help improve the educational outcomes of rural Zambians.
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal in Chinyanja and English and high emotional intelligence abilities.
- Ability to operate within a wide range of student personalities and backgrounds.
- Experience working with rural community schools and serving rural students, especially girls.
- Exceptionally organized with strong time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow procedures.
- Ability to write regular and accurate reports that summarize and or prioritize information
- Knowledge of effective filing systems and the ability to follow logical order.
- Tech skills: Typing, E-mail, Word, Excel
- Integrity, professionalism, punctuality and reliability
This position is based in Katete, Eastern Province with possible travel to Sinda and Petauke form time to time.
Compensation is based on suitability for the role, experience and qualifications.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.