Development of a national advocacy and communication strategy on birth registration with a costed implementation plan – Individual Consultancy
Job Number: 507710
Locations: Africa: Zambia
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
- To develop a national advocacy and communication strategy on birth registration
- To develop a costed implementation plan for the advocacy and communication strategy
Under the guidance of the C4D Officer, Child Protection, the specific tasks of this consultancy include:
- Conduct desk review of available data such as the 2013/14 ZDHS, 2012 bottleneck analysis and any such as will be available.
- Conduct behavior analysis of the identified key audiences using the available data
- In consultation with the advocacy and communication task team develop an advocacy and communication strategy
- Develop and pre-test appropriate messages for use in the development of advocacy kits for policy and decision makers and for other key influencers including community leaders
- Develop a costed implementation plan for national and sub-national level for the period 2018 to 2020, including the annual activities related to advocacy and communication
- Prepare power point presentation of the developed advocacy and communication strategy and share the same with DNRPC, key stakeholders and UNICEF
Quality assurance will be provided by the CRVS advocacy and communication sub-committee.
- Prepare inception report detailing the process of the development of the strategy.
- A desk review of the relevant available data on birth registration.
- Conduct participant/ audience, channel analysis in consultation with the key stakeholders through Focus Group Discussions in Lusaka, Chinsali and Kalomo.
- Facilitate workshop with key stakeholders to provide input to the strategy which includes identified appropriate communication channels/media, testing of key messages and a costed implementation plan.
- Drafting of the strategy.
- Facilitate stakeholder workshop to develop costed implementation plan.
- Submission of a draft strategy with an implementation plan.
- Strategy validation workshop with stakeholders and incorporation of inputs.
- Submission of Final C4D Strategy including implementation plan.
- Fees will be paid in Zambian Kwacha on submission of an invoice and acceptance of delivered services.
- Payment will only be paid upon satisfactory performance. In case of unsatisfactory performance the consultant will be required to make the necessary adjustments before resubmission
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- A minimum of a Masters degree in journalism, communication, international relations, political or social sciences, human rights, or comparable academic qualifications or equivalent work experience.
Years of relevant experience
- At least 5 years of progressively advanced experience in strategic communications, public advocacy, which must include developing communications and advocacy strategies at the global, regional or national level.
Additional Knowledge Required
- Demonstrated familiarity with the work of UNICEF and/or international development, humanitarian, and child rights issues.
- Excellent knowledge of English is required – strong communication skills (written and oral) in English are a necessity.
- Proven skills in conceptualizing and developing communication and advocacy strategies and developing actions plans for implementation
- Proven ability to think critically and seek out, synthesize and interpret large amounts of information.
- Ability to work with incomplete information and diverse views and opinions.
- Concrete experience of fostering open dialogue, building trust and engaging key stakeholders.
- Experience of using analytical tools to inform strategic analysis.
- Expertise in using MS Office software and carrying out research and data analysis.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Closing Date Thu Oct 19 2017 21:55:00 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=507710 →