Innovations for Poverty Action, Zambia
POSITION: Post Graduate Research Interns (x2)
REPORTING TO: Senior Research and Associate Research Manager
START DATE: As soon as possible
LOCATION: Lusaka, Zambia
DURATION: Minimum of 3 to 6 months
DEADLINE: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy nonprofit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA brings together researchers and decision-makers to design, rigorously evaluate, and refine these solutions and their applications, ensuring that the evidence created is used to improve the lives of the world’s poor. In recent decades, trillions of dollars have been spent on programs designed to reduce global poverty, but clear evidence of which programs succeed is rare, and when evidence does exist, decision-makers often do not know about it. IPA exists to bring together leading researchers and these decision-makers to ensure that the evidence we create leads to tangible impact on the world. Since its founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 600 leading academics to conduct over 900 evaluations in 52 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
About the position
IPA is recruiting two (02) qualified candidates for a Post Graduate Research Fellowship. This fellowship program is integral to IPA’s capacity-building and skills transfer initiatives. It aims to attract talented and driven individuals interested in acquiring expertise in evidence-based research and translating that evidence into improved programs and policies to benefit disadvantaged populations. Candidates will gain the necessary skills to contribute to the production of research publications. The IPA Africa Fellowship program offers a distinctive learning experience tailored to postgraduate students (both Master’s and PhD) or recent graduates (Master’s and PhD) with diverse academic backgrounds.
This program exclusively welcomes individuals who aspire to advance their careers on a research track within specific sectors. These sectors encompass agriculture, education, health, financial inclusion, governance, entrepreneurship as well as social protection, all of which align with IPA sector programs.
The Fellowship period is for a minimum of 3 months and maximum of 6 months and can be extended based on individual performance and organizational needs.
Duties and responsibilities for the fellow
- Collaborate with the assigned supervisor to develop a comprehensive work plan, allocate work assignments, establish project objectives, and oversee their successful completion.
- Liaise with the research team to define research goals and objectives.
- Maintain regular communication with the designated supervisor, providing frequent project updates and assisting in report writing tasks, among other responsibilities.
- Engage in daily collaboration with the principal investigators leading the project and with the IPA project team.
- Complete mandatory training courses, including obtaining a Human Subject Research Certificate, as specified by the supervisor.
- Contribute to activities related to policy engagement and strategic planning when required.
- Participate in training a survey team responsible for conducting surveys.
- Deliver a minimum of one “brown bag” presentation during the internship period at IPA and share findings with your university peers.
- Prepare and submit a written report at least one week before concluding the fellowship at IPA.
- Lead funding proposal submission to a minimum of two calls for funding proposals.
- Provide feedback by submitting a Fellowship feedback form to help improve the internship program.
- You hold a Master’s or Ph.D degree in a field related to our work or are currently studying a related Master’s course or PhD course;
- You have an interest in one of IPA’s work areas, i.e., Agriculture, Education, Health, Financial Inclusion, Social Protection, Entrepreneurship, etc.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Additional language skills may be a plus.
- Experience with data management. Strong quantitative skills and knowledge of Stata or other quantitative data analysis software.
- Experience with electronic data collection platforms. Knowledge of SurveyCTO is a plus.
- Excellent management and organisational skills
- Flexibility, self-motivation, the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently as a team player.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse team and maintain high professional standards.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Postgraduate Research Fellow. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organisational needs as necessary.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com