UNCDF is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s 48 least developed countries (LDCs). With its capital mandate and instruments, UNCDF offers “last mile” finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development.
Mobile Money for the Poor (MM4P) is a programme launched by UNCDF in partnership with the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida), the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and The MasterCard Foundation. MM4P provides support to branchless and mobile financial services in a select group of LDCs to demonstrate how the correct mix of financial, technical and policy support can build a robust branchless and mobile financial services ecosystem that reaches low income people in LDCs.
MM4P requires a Communications & Knowledge Management intern to support the consolidation of its presence in Zambia and ensure that there is a strong learning component to this endeavor. This position is a great opportunity for those interested in developing their marketing and communication skills, and learning how a UN organization utilizes social media to support its mission, promote its events, research and insights to the right stakeholders. The intern will be instrumental in increasing MM4P Zambia’s social media presence and visibility, and gain hands on experience generating content and engaging with audiences through social media platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is expected to support the implementation of the Communication and Knowledge Management Strategy for MM4P Zambia, as directed by the Regional Technical Specialist and with the support of the Knowledge Management Consultant. Specifically, the key activities of the intern will involve the following:
- Understand MM4P Zambia’s program activities, goals and results
- Understand how MM4P Zambia’s Communications Strategy (including the use of traditional & social media) plays a role in achieving the goals and results of the program’s activities, particularly its fundraising activities.
- Support the implementation of both MM4P Zambia’s Communications & Knowledge Management Strategies (with the help of Knowledge Management Consultant), according to the events & activities calendar.
- Support the successful execution of three key events: DFS Awards event (October), Feedback2Action (October) and Bulk Payments Research Launch (November) . This will include creating event checklists, drafting and sending invites, monitoring RSVPs, assisting with post-event feedback collection.
- Related to events & activities calendar, synthesize real-time activities of the MM4P Zambia team as well as learnings and help create and drive traditional media and social media content (e.g., tweets, photos, LinkedIn posts, newspaper articles etc) that will generate increased discussion, followers, likes, shares etc.
- Disseminate information about the programme’s events and publications on social media and traditional media, as requested including proof reading, editing, and preparation of documents for print
- Produce of a variety of communication tools
- Provide input to and maintaining the contact database of the programme
- Build strong working relationships with the media and journalists contacts list
- Assist with curating content for the MM4P Zambia newsletter and knowledge deepening exercises
- Support organizing local events and workshops
- Work with team members to provide media, communications, and social media advice to staff in achieving the knowledge management work plan to maximize communications impact
- Work in collaboration with global media staff to ensure the messages and quality are consistent and in line with UNCDF standards and policy
- Other tasks as requested by the Project & Knowledge Management Consultant
Key expected results:
Support the Project & Knowledge Management Consultant to:
- Implement the Communications Strategy for MM4P Zambia, that includes engaging with traditional media and social media and tracking success by meeting targets.
- Develop and maintain a sustainable DFS Media Working Group to ensure consistent and productive engagement with the media.
- Increased exposure of MM4P Zambia’s knowledge, learnings and results to both the Zambian and international audiences (measured by mentions in the media)
- Increased presence in traditional media (newspaper, radio, TV)
- Increased presence on social media (measured by number of “views”, “page views”, “retweets”, “shares”, “thumbs up” and similar metrics for MM4P Zambia content)
- The intern will work part-time (3 days a week) in the Lusaka UNCDF office.
- Work space will be provided, and the intern will have access to a computer while in the work space.
- Internships are not remunerated. UNCDF policies do not provide for interns to be compensated for travel, salaries and living expenses.
- Strong communication skills in English (including written and verbal communication);
- Strong communication skills in Bemba and/or Nyanja
- Experienced social media user (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn);
- Experience in engaging with the traditional media (Newspaper, TV);
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Capacity to work collaboratively in a multicultural environment;
- Excellent research, analytical, communication, and writing skills;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Respect for diversity;
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty;
- Commitment to UNCDFs vision, mission, and strategic goals.
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation
- Have a strong social media presence and experienced in using various social media platforms to drive interactions i.e. we are seeking a Digital Native who is active on social media and knows how to generate content that gets people talking.
- Demonstrated expertise in using hashtags, key words, key phrases to generate strong response from social media audiences, including high number of retweets, followers, shares, etc.
- Excellent organizational, inter-personal, communication and administrative skills;
- Able to take initiative and work independently;
- Proven ability to complete diverse and complex tasks;
- Excellent computer capabilities (Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Good understanding of importance of design/graphics in effective communication methods
- Demonstrated interest in financial inclusion, including digital finance, Microfinance and /or other areas related to international development in general;
- Photo and video editing skills would be an added advantage.
- Interns are not staff members;
- All costs connected with an intern’s participation in the Programme must be borne by the students or the nominating institutions as appropriate.
The top 3 candidates will be invited for an interview.
Please upload one document in word format including the following:
- Signed UNCDF Internship Application form (available at www.uncdf.org/download/file/127/2509/internshipdoc)
- Your CV.
- Motivation letter.
Please group all your documents into one single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.undp.org.