MCGL Project Background and FP Goals
The overarching goal of the MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership (MCGL) project in Zambia is to improve maternal, neonatal, child, and adolescent health services in the country’s Northern and Central provinces. The activity’s specific objectives include:
- Increase availability of and access to quality reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health (RMNCAH) services, including integrating nutrition into existing RMNCAH activities.
- Increase demand and uptake of RMNCAH services.
- Strengthen health systems at national and subnational levels for effective delivery of RMNCAH services.
MCGL FP goals include to:
- Build capacity of Health Workers to provide quality FP services using a wide method mix.
- Build capacity of HCPs from maternity labor and postnatal units to provide immediate Post Partum Family Planning services to clients within 48 hours post-delivery prior to discharge from health facility
- To contribute to strengthening of last mile commodity security
To be responsible for the coordination and successful implementation of all FP activities across the MOMENTUM project, including across all 3 objective areas and cross-cutting technical areas. He/She will work closely with the Technical Lead Objective 1 and is expected to collaborate across the project and FHN sister project in collaboration with the MOH and other implementing partners to achieve and report key results to USAID under MOMENTUM Country and Global Leadership as well as contribute substantively to collective efforts to achieve Zambia’s FP2030 commitments and CIP. S/he will supervise the implementation of FP interventions and “collaborating with the M&E to review FP-related project data, performance, underlying or contextual factors for trends in the data and seeking to test programmatic changes to improve on the indicators, as well as supporting donor reporting functions led by the M&E team.”
In addition, he/she will take leadership role in the FP program at national level and represent USAID MOMENTUM / Jhpiego at meetings with MOH and partners.
- Provide technical leadership on all FP related activities to ensure adherence to Jhpiego, USAID, and global technical and clinical standards, quality of care, and rights-based approaches to FP.
- Ensure compliance to USAID FP policy across all program implementation areas, including support Jhpiego and partner staff with compliance monitoring and reporting and maintain FP compliance files.
- Represent USAID MOMENTUM / Jhpiego at National and subnational stakeholders’ meetings and technical committees in relation to FP technical area.
- Support implementation of national introduction and scale up plan of new FP methods particularly hormonal IUD.
- Promoting contraceptive method choice in the health systems, inclusive of non-commodity-based methods, such as the Lactational Amenorrhea method, other fertility-awareness methods, including digital tools (e.g. the Cycle Beads app), even if those methods are not yet formally tracked in the Zambian HMIS. Or something like that?
- In collaboration with the SBC Specialist support and coordinate FP Human Centered Design (HCD) activities
- Provide technical assistance for provider capacity building activities, including supportive supervision, and monitoring, when required.
- Represent Jhpiego on country level advocacy platforms for FP, while also continuing to pursue a vision of locally led development and strong coalitions under The Advocacy and Accountability Collaborative, liaising with MOMENTUM’s global Director of Advocacy and Accountability, when needed.
- Identify and coordinate clinical and technical assistance from Jhpiego/Zambia office, as required.
- Prepare reports as may be specified by Jhpiego including trip reports for all travel assignments, USAID reporting requirements, and ad hoc reporting requests.
- Closely collaborate with all objective leads and cross-cutting area technical advisors in SBC, Youth and Gender to ensure FP activities are integrated, on track, and closely monitored.
- In collaboration with the Technical Lead Objective 1 and Program officer, ensure that necessary planning, budgeting, and management activities occur to facilitate smooth and efficient implementation of clinical program activities.
- Identify and document program successes, best practices, challenges, and lessons learnt and facilitate sharing at international, national and district levels to Jhpiego and partner staff and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to annual planning process in collaboration with the program team.
- Perform or assume other duties as assigned by the Technical Director to ensure the smooth functioning of the program.
Knowledge, SKILLS, and Abilities
- At least 5 years’ experience in successful field implementation and management of programs in FP and or related reproductive health areas for the public, private or NGO sector
- Technically proficient with up-to-date clinical skills in FP, with sound understanding of contraceptive technology, awareness of key WHO references and guidelines for contraceptive service delivery, and/or awareness of key high impact practices in FP
- Technical expertise and proven experience in social norms change leading to measurable change in FP use.
- District-level work experience in Zambia and solid relationships with the Zambian public and private health sector, including other implementing partners/stakeholders.
- Experience in the development of strategic and tactical plans in collaboration with other stakeholders who may represent a wide range of interests and needs.
- Ability to build capacity and collaboration between governmental and non-governmental partners and other project implementers.
- Experience in data management at the facility and program level
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, writing and oral presentation skills
- Strong results-oriented, decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple task and intense pressure to perform
- Familiarity with USAID donor policies and administrative procedures, and experience in design and implementation health programs.
- Advanced diploma in midwifery, advanced degree in nursing or related field.
- Public health degree would be an advantage.
- Experience in developing successful, replicable, and sustainable service delivery programs.
SEND YOUR CVs via this link