Website J&J Transport Zambia Ltd.
Position: General Operations Manager
Reports to: Country Manager
J&J Transport Zambia Ltd. is looking for a suitably qualified individual who will be able to promote organizational excellence by managing its general operations and entire Company fleet. This individual must have proven experience of managing a large fleet of heavy-duty vehicles, and leading a dynamic large team, with an aggressive focus on maximising business and turnaround.
In particular, the individual must be proactive, and take the initiative, as well as have the ability to carry, and meet multiple objectives and deadlines, with a proven track record of strong performance and strong focus on optimising human capital.
– Retaining and acquiring business through exceptional service delivery and relationship building and assisting in commercial and contractual negotiations;
– Effectively managing and liaising with stakeholders, both internal and external;
– Establishing and maintaining standardized policies and procedures of operations across the entire department;
– Performing regular operational audits to ensure compliance and providing month end/quarterly reports, and as when required;
– Liaise with representatives in Malawi, Zimbabwe, DRC and Mozambique to ensure that all issues are dealt with, response times remain quick and that border clearances and turnaround of trucks remain high priority;
– Liaise and coordinate at all times with the Legal department on customs and/or road authorities’ procedures as relates to the company and the movement of its trucks;
– Ensure cargo is allocated to trucks with due consideration to customer requirements, and nature of the cargo and that required arrangements are in place at all times for timely loading and offloading of cargo;
– In liaison with the Finance department, ensure adequate funds available for entire Fleet movement;
– Developing and leading a cohesive team capable of planning and executing day-to-day activities in a safe, professional, efficient and cost-effective manner;
– Managing human resources performance (Fleet staff) and development to optimize utilization;
– Ensuring compliance with relevant legislation including HR requirements and internal policies and liaise and coordinate with HR Department in regards with staff grievances and concerns with adherence to statutory requirements;
– Liaise with Documentation Department and/or legal Department and ensure that the entire Fleet has got valid documents, insurances, licenses and inspections;
– Contribute for the continuous development of business operational systems to benefit and reduce wasted time and ensure the same are used to their full functionality;
– Ensure that information related to the interests of the Company and or the markets within which it operates are communicated to appropriately;
– Contribute with any innovative ideas or ways that may improve the business operations and/or efficiency of the company and share/communicate it in a – proper manner;
– Ensure that all company risks are insured in line with company policy.
– Academic Background: Degree/ Diploma in logistics / cross border transportation;
– Experience required (minimum/maximum): 5-15 years in Transport and Logistics and experience in an International Company with thorough knowledge of Cross border transportation in the SADC region;
– Age (minimum / maximum): >35-45;
– Good understanding of the Business and Business needs, and in particular the Zambian business market;
– IT knowledge: excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office products (word; excel; power point);
– Leadership Experience.
Preference (soft skills/behaviours)
– Good communication skills with strong attention to analysis, planning and detail;
– Results orientated with delivery capabilities and good time management skills;
– Strong accountability and decision-making skills with the capability to own and take the responsibility for decisions even if negative results;
– Able to establish and maintain effective positive working relationships with subordinates, co-workers, Managers, Customers and 3rd parties;
– High emotional intelligence, with objective approach to relating to, and resolving staff matters/ conflict for the good of the organisation;
– Humility to receive correction, and adjust action accordingly with positive attitude;
– Good prudent judgment, with proactive foresight of possible potential scenarios and impact on the business;
– Diligent hard worker, with high levels of energy and self-motivation;
– Ability to set the standard, and lead staff by example and demonstrate high ethical and moral behaviour whilst ensuring compliance with Company and statutory policies / regulations;
– Show high levels of skills and genuine interest in developing others;
– Available to pursue personal development of skills and knowledge necessary for the effective performance of the role.
Interested candidates are to send a cover letter and their CVs with copies of their qualifications to [email protected] by 18th September 2023.
NOTE: All applicants are thanked for their interest, and only AFTER completed assessments will the shortlisted candidates be contacted further.