Website John Snow Health Zambia Limited
Improving the Health of Individuals and Communities
John Snow Health Zambia Limited
Job Title: Finance Manager
Department/Unit: Finance & Administration
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Duration: Full-Time position
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
The USAID Zambia Accessible Markets for Health (ZAM-Health) Activity is a five-year project to expand the availability and accessibility of high-quality health products and services in the private sector, improve health knowledge, and increase the adoption of healthy and health-seeking behaviors. The program will employ private sector approaches such as marketing, social franchising, and partnerships with for-profit entities to achieve these outcomes. USAID ZAM-Health is implemented by John Snow Health Zambia (JSH) in partnership with JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), Media 365 and PharmAccess.
JSH seeks a dynamic and highly experienced candidate for the position of Finance Manager to be based in Lusaka, Zambia. S/he will manage project finances and work closely with the finance team (including Accountants) in the Lusaka office, as well as provide financial oversight and support to regional offices in Copperbelt, Central and Southern provinces. This position will report to the Director of Finance & Administration and help in achieving the project’s goals and objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct supervision to the Lusaka-based Accountants including development of individual roles and responsibilities, definition of tasks, development and documentation of professional development plans, and conducting performance appraisals.
- Provide support to oversee financial management and expenditures in the Copperbelt, Central, and Southern regional offices and work in close collaboration with regional finance and operations staff.
- Assist the Director of Finance & Administration in providing financial and compliance guidance during the workplan budgeting process.
- Develop an annual budget for operations support, with guidance and feedback from senior management. Ensure that the budget accurately reflects the approved work plan. In collaboration with the technical staff, participate in development of the budget for technical activities.
- Ensure that Chart of Accounts supports tracking for production of annual PEPFAR expenditure report; draft report with management staff.
- Manage budget tracking and projections and prepare routine financial reports (monthly, quarterly, annual).
- Manage JSH/ZAM-Health Project credit facility, including close monitoring of cash flow and projections.
- Manage relationship with the bank for ZAM-Health accounts.
- Implement and monitor effective financial management systems and rigorous internal controls to ensure that all financial reporting is accurate, cost efficient and transparent, ensuring compliance with USG rules and regulations, JSH policy and local laws at all times.
- Monitor and track project income and expenditure against budget and regular updating of projections.
- Monitor use of JSH Chart of Accounts and Finance Manual and train finance team in its use.
- Ensure a culture of compliance and monitor and supervise internal audits and compliance checks, implement corrective action plans and act as the audit focal point for JSH audits in coordination with other JSH project finance staff e.g. from eSCMIS Project.
- Ensure compliance with ZRA, NAPSA and other statutory returns at all times.
- Review all project financial policies, procedures, and issues, prior to dissemination to project staff, donor and partners.
- Support the update and roll-out of the operations manual and the related forms and SOPs.
- Manage funds at local bank account, including balance monitoring, daily transaction posting and reconciliations, and approve expenditures in accordance with JSH and donor procedures, cost principles, and regulations.
- Oversee monthly financial reporting, assuring accuracy, compliance and timeliness including: review of the Quickbooks database, perform bank account and petty cash reconciliations.
- Trouble-shoot any challenges in documentation or reporting.
- Assist in managing the level of outstanding advances.
- Review and monitor monthly invoices to and payment from USAID.
- Review and monitor monthly invoices from and payment to project subrecipients.
- Implement and adhere to JSH’s personnel, financial, operations and fraud management policies.
- Travel to regional offices as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance & Administration or other senior staff.
- Bachelor’s in finance, accounting, business, economics or related field with a minimum of 10 years’ direct work experience in financial, grants or contracts management in Zambia with senior-level responsibility for project administration and finance.
- ACCA Part III/CIMA Part III.
- Experience with USG, USAID, and/or PEPFAR funding rules and regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written English,
- Proven record of systems strengthening and internal controls.
- Ability to take initiative and lead teams. Supervisory, coaching and management experience required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
Supervision and Reporting:
This position will work under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Finance & Administration
Mode of Application:
To apply please complete the application form available HERE. Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information via the application form.
Closing Date: 1st August 2022
Please note that you do not need to apply if you don’t meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
John Snow Health Zambia, Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.