John Snow Health Zambia Limited
John Snow Health Limited (JSH) is a Zambian company committed to working with governments, non-governmental entities, the private sector, civil society, and communities to improve public health services. We offer a wide range of services to implement public health interventions that enhance individuals’ and communities’ health in Zambia and the region.
At JSH, we believe in inclusive growth. We ensure local communities, including marginalized groups, have access to responsive, client-centered, sustainable health systems.
The Compliance Manager will work closely with finance and operations staff from all projects managed by JSH; as well as all project technical staff and partners, to ensure that project policies and procedures are understood, consistently applied, documented, monitored, controlled and evaluated by staff in Lusaka and field offices. In addition, he/she will audit financial reports from projects and field accounts. S/he will work closely with the Chief Technical Advisor to ensure technical compliance in relation to expenditure. This is expected to improve cost-efficiency in program implementation. The Compliance Manager will report to the JSH Executive Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a culture of compliance for all JSH staff, through clear and effective communication, training on policies and procedures and timely and effective feedback to staff;
- Ensure thorough familiarity with JSH manuals and resources;
- Ensure policy and procedure manuals are up-to-date, issued and signed off on by staff (liaising with HR or other counterparts);
- Coordinate roll out of any policy updates or process clarifications in coordination with all Project Directors Operations, all Project Finance Directors and all Projects Technical Directors including fraud prevention, operations, and finance policies;
- Conduct trainings and/or technical assistance for staff across the projects in JSH policy, finance and operations, donor rules and regulations;
- Review and monitor all internal control tools operating in all JSH offices to ensure accurate reporting, compliance with all rules, regulations and project policy and safeguard project resources (inventory and assets); Identify gaps and propose revisions in internal controls and monitor their implementation and effectiveness.
- Routinely visit projects’ field/regional and other project offices as required to ensure that policies and procedures are understood and consistently applied and documented and that staff implement sound financial and operating systems in accordance with JSH, USAID and other funders’ regulations;
- Conduct periodic reviews of Finance, HR and Operations departments (including Regional Offices) work practices and systems and work with the team to strengthen JSH’s office work procedures;
- Spot check transactions to source documents – procurement of goods and services, including mobile money transactions and payroll as well as other transactions on a monthly basis;
- Submit monthly reports to the JSH Executive Director on the status of internal controls across finance departments Corporate office, Projects -Finance, HR and Operations highlighting any high risk areas, challenges or problems that may arise;
- Review the internal controls for all offices and provide recommendations;
- Coordinates the process of completing annual file checklist ensuring compliance from all departments across JSH;
- Periodically travel to facilities and other implementation sites to assess status of JSH-Health support including spot checks of inventory and documentation;
- Liaise with staff to identify any bottlenecks or process improvements possible within JSH policy;
- Serve as a member of Code of Conduct/Child Safeguarding teams in all JSH projects; and
- Any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree required with commensurate experience, Master’s degree in Management, Finance or related field preferred;
- Certified Public Accountant/Chartered Accountant Certificate or equivalent is strongly preferred;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in financial management and/or operations
- Experience with US Government-funded projects and acquisition rules and regulations highly preferred;
- Experience in navigating compliance related issues including capacity building, reporting and effectively managing fraud response teams/cases is highly sought for;
- Experience conducting audits with a professional audit firm is strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to implement procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Strong time management/task prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills; and
- Computer literacy required (especially Excel, MS Word and Windows).
Interested candidates should complete an application with this LINK. Please note that you do not need to apply if you don’t meet the minimum requirements. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: Monday, November 13, 2023
John Snow Health Zambia, Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status). in any employment decision