John Snow Health Zambia Limited ZAM-Health Project
John Snow Health Zambia Limited
Position: Director – Clinical Services
Position Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party – Health Services
The USAID Zambia Accessible Markets for Health (ZAM-Health) project is a five-year project aimed to expand the availability and accessibility of high-quality health products and services in the private sector, improve health knowledge, and increase the adoption of healthy and health-seeking behaviors. The program uses marketing, and partnerships with for-profit and non-profit entities to achieve these outcomes. USAID ZAM-Health is implemented by John Snow Health Zambia (JSH) in partnership with JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), PharmAccess and Mopani Mines.
JSH seeks a dynamic and highly experienced candidate with a medical background for the position of Director of Clinical Services. The Director will provide leadership and oversight of project activities to increase the accessibility, availability, and quality of HIV/TB, Family Planning (FP), and Maternal, Newborn, Child Health (MNCH) and Nutrition services in private sector facilities. This position is responsible for planning, budget execution, implementation, and monitoring project activities to improve the quality and availability of HIV/TB, FP, MNCH, and Nutrition services in private health facilities. The Director will be based in Lusaka and provide clinical oversight to the ZAM-Health project personnel in the Copperbelt, Lusaka, Southern, and Central Province offices.
The core program components for which this position provides leadership and oversight include the full cascade of clinical HIV, FP, MNCH and Nutrition services delivered in private sector sites supported by the project. The Director will represent the project and have high-level meetings with stakeholders, including, but not limited to the Ministry of Health, NAC, ZAMMSA, ZAMRA, HPCZ, USAID and other ministries and agencies. The Director will participate in Technical Working Group meetings and other fora related to health services or ensure that the project has appropriate representation in such discussions.
This position will report to the Deputy Chief of Party – Health Services.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership for strategic and annual planning to ensure that ZAM-Health program approaches reflect the project’s theory of change and address the constraints that inhibit more effective private sector participation in delivering health products and services.
- Represent the ZAM-Health project in interaction with internal and external counterparts, partners, and stakeholders. Builds an excellent collaborative network with partners in the private sector, the Ministry of Health, and other government agencies.
- Organize and facilitate public-private dialogue and partnerships to overcome barriers to healthcare access and utilization, particularly in the areas of family planning, MNCH, cervical cancer prevention, and HIV/TB
- Provide leadership in refining, implementing, and regularly updating program management systems and tracking tools for activities related to clinical services
- Develop a training and mentorship plan for private sector facilities
- Provide overall management to ensure cost-effective and timely program implementation and budget execution.
- Provide clinical oversight for HIV/TB service delivery activities in the project’s sub-recipient sites (Wusakile and Malcolm Watson Hospitals) and selected private sector sites.
- Provide clinical oversight for FP and MNCH service delivery activities in the project’s in all project sites.
- Provide oversight in quality improvement activities and the use of SafeCare assessment tools
- Ensure the project adheres to national and internationally accepted technical norms and standards.
- Collaborate with other technical units: Private sector engagement, social and behaviour change, and Strategic Information to ensure synergy in program implementation.
- Provide oversight and ensure private sector facilities adhere to climate smart environmental management and mitigation standards.
- Ensure timely preparation of all necessary reports. The reports include monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports. Leads others to document best practices and approaches throughout project implementation.
- Implement and adhere to JSH’s personnel, finance, operations, and fraud management policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party – Health Services or other senior staff.
- MD or equivalent is required
- A Master’s degree in public health or project management would be an added advantage
- Experience in manuscript development and publication would be an added advantage
- A minimum of ten years of direct work experience in Zambia in health systems, management, and programming
- Demonstrated senior leadership experience on a donor-funded health project. USAID and working knowledge of US government rules and regulations are strongly desired
- Expertise working in partnership with local and national level governments, the private sector, donors, project partners, and other stakeholders
- Proven management skills, including relevant experience in the direct supervision of professional staff
- Ability to take the initiative, lead teams, and convene stakeholders and partners
- Ability to travel frequently to Copperbelt, Central, and Southern provinces
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral, and written communications skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is required
Mode of Application:
Kindly follow the link below and answer all the questions to submit your applications:
Closing Date: 22nd November 2023.
John Snow Health Zambia, Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.