Website John Snow Inc.
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and providers for the recently awarded United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five-year project which will be led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates, mothers2mothers, and the Catholic Medical Mission Board, will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE will work with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counseling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position: Molecular Scientist/ Technologist – Medical Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory.
Supervisor: Laboratory Manager ADCH PCR Lab
Location: Kitwe Teaching Hospital
To perform high-complexity molecular diagnostic testing in support of ART & HPV programs and any other applicable/ relevant testing.
Duties and responsibilities
- To perform molecular tests at the HIV DNA PCR laboratory at Kitwe Teaching Hospital.
- To coordinate ordering of reagents, test kits and supplies from Central Medical Stores.
- To establish inventory management systems, logistics, commodity security and good stores management.
- To plan, develop/ modify and implement local testing protocols.
- To be part of an MoH team responsible for upholding approved turn-around times and other good clinical lab practices.
- To develop, implement and monitor quality control /assurance activities.
- To support the development, implementation and monitoring of initiatives for scaling up VL,EID,HPV,DR and COVID Testing.
- To undertake such additional duties as assigned by SAFE Provincial Management & Senior Laboratory Services Advisor.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Diploma in laboratory technology with at least five years’ experience or a degree in Biomedical Sciences with three years’ experience in a high-complexity molecular laboratory.
- A minimum of Six (6) months experience in HIV VL and DBS specimen preparation and overall handling.
- Experience in medical laboratory testing and techniques in the diagnosis and monitoring of, but not limited to HIV/AIDS.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to interpret results making accurate judgement and conclusions on tests performed in the laboratory.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including report writing in English.
- Good computer skills with good knowledge of office packages and data analysis software.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Networking skills with other PCR Labs across the country.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Medical Stores Limited at regional and national levels.
- Good understanding of Laboratory Information Systems.
Please send email applications, with the position you are applying for in the subject line, to: [email protected] .only those applications that reference the position in the subject line will be reviewed. Your application should consist of a cover letter and CV with three references and full addresses and contact information
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
John Snow, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D