Website John Snow Inc.
John Snow, Inc.
Supporting an AIDS-Free Era
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks a qualified Accountant for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/PEPFAR-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. The five-year project which is led by JSI in partnership with Abt Associates and mothers2mothers, works to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID/PEPFAR SAFE works with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counseling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
Position Title: Accountant
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Central Province – Kabwe
The Accountant is a full-time position based in the Central Province office in Kabwe. Accountant will set up and maintain the JSI financial accounts and administrative systems for the contract. S/he will be responsible for the accounting system, budget tracking and expenditure projections, expense monitoring and financial reporting for the contract. S/he will report to the Finance Manager in the Central Province office.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the day to day accounting, including maintaining the JSI field accounts system, examining receipts and vouchers, reconciling advances, projecting and tracking expenditures and accruals;
- Enter transactions in Quickbooks accounting system and issue vouchers for all expenses;
- Review Petty cash documents received from the petty cash custodian and issue voucher for replenishment.
- Ensure timely monthly financial reports to the Finance and Administration Manager;
- Assist with monthly home office feedback on submitted financial reports;
- Ensure office space rentals are paid in time as per lease agreements and the rental schedule is constantly updated;
- Tracking and monitoring of provincial staff advances including reconciling of cash balances;
- Assist the Finance and Administration Manager to ensure compliance with all US Government (USG) and JSI financial management policies and regulations;
- Ensure regular communication with Senior Administration Officer, Administrative Assistant/Receptionist, and Provincial Logistics Officer for all financial related matters;
- Ensure that all expenses incurred by project are paid for in a timely manner and ensure VAT free exemption; and
- Support the JSI finance and accounting unit with all other tasks as assigned.
- Minimum of a degree in accounting and/or a recognized accounting qualification (ACCA, CIMA, ZICA or equivalent);
- At least 3 years of experience in financial management for international donors preferably including experience with USAID funded projects
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting system desired
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access) and QuickBooks;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and willingness to take initiative;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team member;
- Fluency in English.
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
John Snow, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D