Website John Snow Inc.
Zambia Integrated Health Activity
Job Title: Director of Transition and Capacity Strengthening
Position Type: Full time
Supervisor: Technical Director
Posting Location: Lusaka
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management firm, headquartered in the United States, dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI has been implementing public health work in Zambia for over 25 years.
JSI seeks a dynamic and strategic Director of Transition and Capacity Strengthening for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded Zambia Integrated Health Activity (ZIHA). The Activity will work in 3 provinces, Copperbelt, North Western, and Central, with the main purpose to improve health outcomes of Zambians through equitable access to high-quality, client-centered HIV, TB/HIV, MNCH, and FP/RH services, products, and information to strengthen the integration of services to reduce mortality, morbidity, and HIV transmission for focus subpopulations.
The position is a full-time position based in Lusaka and will oversee the capacity strengthening team. S/he will work closely with and under the direct supervision of the Technical Director.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
- Provide overall strategic design and technical guidance to ensure an effective capacity strengthening approach to working with the GRZ and community-based structures and other institutions.
- Create capacity development action plans that are tailored to project and partner needs. This includes working with the GRZ and USAID Zambia to develop milestones for capacity building
- Spearhead the development and execution of a site-by-site transition from a direct service delivery to a technical assistance model
- Lead targeted capacity strengthening initiatives to increase the capacity of Provincial and District Health Offices (P/DHOs)
- Curate and customize assessment tools, set capacity and organizational performance standards, create capacity development approaches, and ensure capacity development service provision is appropriate and effective.
- Effectively build and strengthen local networks to improve health with problem-solving innovative approaches
- Provide leadership to ensure incremental and successful capacity building to manage donor funds and incremental transitioning of supported health service delivery.
- Provide technical support for policy formulation, monitoring and evaluation, and coordination.
- Master’s or advanced degree and five years of experience in public health, international development, business management, organizational behavior, or relevant focus area.
- A minimum of five years of experience designing and leading capacity development activities for USAID in the field of public health.
- Demonstrated senior level experience working with PEPFAR funded programs and/or other USAID funded activities.
- Demonstrated experience in understanding local systems and building consortia, associations, and networks for systems change, shared learning, and collective action in the health sector
- Strong experience in capacity development, including organizational capacity development, designing diagnostic tools, facilitating capacity development action plans, designing effective capacity development interventions, organizing capacity service provision
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Deep understanding of the health organizational dynamics nationally in Zambia and at the provincial level.
To apply, please visit www.jsi.com/careers-at-jsi or directly via the apply button below.