Website John Snow Inc.
Position Title: Lab Manager PCR Testing Services.
Supervisor: Regional Director / Director Laboratory Services.
Location: Ndola, Arthur Davison Childrens Hospital
To oversee high-complexity molecular diagnostic services across six PCR Laboratories. Provide monitoring and diagnosis of HIV infection in infants and children, viral load (VL) testing, human papilloma virus (HPV) diagnosis, HIV drug resistance testing & COVID.
Duties and responsibilities
1. To provide supervisory oversight of highly complex PCR testing services at ADCH PCR Lab which acts as a referral laboratory.
2. Provide oversight required to establish quality services in the six (6) PCR Laboratories in the SAFE catchment.
3. To represent the PCR Laboratories in the SAFE catchment at the National Quantification and Forecasting meetings and adequately plan for consumables and reagents applicable to each lab.
4. Facilitate verification and validation exercises for the different PCR platforms approved and introduced into supported laboratories.
5. To advise on the establishment of good inventory management systems, logistics, commodity security and stores management.
6. To oversee and manage the implementation of Laboratory Quality Management Systems (LQMS) across all SAFE supported PCR laboratories.
7. To devise strategies on how to sustain recently attained accreditation of the ADCH and NTH PCR Laboratories.
8. To participate in national studies and research activities as dictated by the project or by MoH/Partners.
9. To report to the National Laboratory Technical Working Group on issues pertaining to the smooth running of the PCR laboratories under the support of the SAFE Project.
10. To ensure participation in all nationally approved external quality assurance schemes.
11. Facilitate appropriate training required to keep skills and knowledge up to date in all PCR technical staff.
12. To collaborate with the Tropical Diseases Research Centre (TDRC),Centre for Infectious Disease and Research in Zambia (CIDRZ) and University Teaching Hospital Paediatric and Adult Centres of Excellence (PCOE/ACOE).
13. To undertake such additional duties as assigned by SAFE Regional Director/ Laboratory Director.
Qualifications and Requirements
1. Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology with at least five years’ experience or a degree in Biomedical sciences with three years’ experience in a high-complexity molecular laboratory.
2. A proven track record of successful participation in EQA schemes.
3. Experience in the implementation of quality management systems (exposure to SLMTA or QMS or DAIDS GCLP will be an added advantage).
4. Excellent analytical skills with ability to interpret results making accurate judgement and conclusions on tests performed in the laboratory.
5. Knowledge and experience in molecular laboratory techniques.
6. Experience in field or laboratory research and data analysis.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills including report writing in English.
8. Good computer skills with good knowledge of office package and data analysis software.
Experience in similar positions will be an added advantage
Knowledge, skills and abilities
1. Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries.
2. Clinical management and training experience and ability to understand full range of issues around the clinical management of HIV/AIDS, DRT & HPV, including provision of ART.
3. Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV & HPV infections
4. Well-developed written and oral communication skills.