Requisition Number: 505611
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Location: Kalumbila (140km west of Solwezi), Solwezi
Categories: Construction, Exploration, Mine Geology, Mining, Operations / General Management
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
Purpose of the role:
Junior Mine Surveyor is responsible for the safe and efficient provision of accurate and timely survey services to mining and all departments under Kalumbila Minerals Limited but not limited to field work and office duties as assigned to him by his superiors, and carry out all monthly measurements in a safe and timely fashion.
- Assist in responding to identified survey needs of the company
- Responsible for the up – keep of survey instruments assigned to him/her
- Measure key positions vertically and horizontally
- Assist in downloading data and producing required format for Surpac processing
- Support the surveyor in measuring defined areas and stockpiles
- Support the surveyor in reviewing and updating safe operating procedures and instructions as necessary
- Ensure safety in all work instructions
- Assist in managing all survey equipment and vehicles to the required standards
- Ensure that survey services are effectively provided and met
- Must be able to interpret and implement mine plans and effectively achieve targets and goals.
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Degree or Diploma in Geodetic, Geomatic, Land or Engineering Surveying
- Minimum Three (3) years’ experience as a Junior Surveyor will be an added advantage – preferable in Open pit mine
- Valid Driving License
Experience & Skills:
- Experience with Robotic Total Stations
- Experience with levelling instruments
- Experience with global position systems
- Excellent team building, communication and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge in large multi open pit operations utilising GPS equipment, Scanners, Drone and associated Survey Software like Pix 4D mapper, site Studio, Trimble Business centre and Surpac.
Beware of imposters who call applicants purporting to be HR Officers and requesting money for work. First Quantum Minerals does not request applicants to pay any fees for possible placement within FQM in Zambia. Please report any activities of this nature to the Zambian Police and Anti- Corruption Commission(ACC), and in addition call and inform FQM Kalumbila Minerals Limited on a 24/7 Call Center number+260963659999.
Applications close: 22 Apr 2019 FLE Daylight Time
To apply please visit careers.first-quantum.com.