Website Kasisi Agricultural Training Center
Promoting sustainable organic agriculture and agroecology
Job Description –Coordinator Diploma in Agroecology Programme
Duration: I-year contract renewable. To start immediately.
Location: Kasisi Agricultural Training Centre (KATC) offices at Kasisi, travel for business visits on one-on-one discussions. Considerable communication by internet
Reporting to: Training and Research Coordinator
Purpose of the job:
To coordinate the diploma program in agroecology at KATC and plan its further development.
Since 2022 Kasisi Agricultural Training Center (KATC) has offered besides other training modules a Diploma Programme in Agroecology. The 2 to 3 years are designed as a blended learning program with online lecturers, self-study, and 3 weeks residential per semester. The course is accredited by the University of Zambia. Modules cover all relevant topics of Agriculture with a special focus on sustainable organic practices.
- To liaise with the Executive Director, Programme Manager, Training and Research Coordinator, and Bread for the World Germany continuously, verbally and in writing
- To liaise and maintain the relations with UNZA, especially the School of Agriculture and the academic office
- To liaise and maintain linkages with the Ministry of Agriculture especially but also other Ministries
- To liaise with the commercial farming community/the employing industry.
- To liaise with potential students of this new program and advertise the new program.
- To maintain relations with graduates from the program.
- To lead in the continuous review and improvement of the courses and the program as a whole.
- In liaison with the Business Development officer to ensure the program operates on an economically, financially, environmentally, and socially sound BUSINESS PLAN.
- Ensure the institution is up to date and that management is kept up to date and advised on all applicable regulatory and statutory obligations
- Ensure all applicable statutory obligations are adhered to and met at all times.
- Facilitate and advise students during their studies.
- Encourage and accompany students in student research on organic topics.
- Maintain the curriculum acceptable by the School of Agriculture UNZA so that the program will continue to be affiliated/accredited to UNZA.
- Develop regular and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the program.
- Identify which areas of study that need to be included in the program to keep contents updated and relevant including new research findings and developments in education.
- Coordinate and guide processes of student application and admission.
- Liaise with lecturers in the program and ensure timely and qualitative delivery of lectures, assignments, tests, and exams.
- Organize the semestrial residentials and practical exercises at KATC.
- Encourage and guide students in research within the area of Agroecology.
- Develop a business plan for this new diploma in agroecology to ensure that it will be financially self-sustaining
- Identify capital and human resources investments required to develop this program further.
- Meet with the Executive Director, Programme Manager, and Training & Research Coordinator weekly for de-briefing and produce weekly progress reports
- Maintain good links with the coordinator of the youth empowerment program to ensure that youths are receiving the best possible facilitation.
- Spot interesting personalities to invite for guest lectures and workshop
- Prepare Graduation Celebration for the Students.
- Facilitate students during the time of residential and attachments.
- Take over a certain deputation of lectures within the program.
Qualifications, experience, and requirements:
- Minimum a Bachelors Degree, preferably Masters Degree
- Work experience in an academic institution will be advantageous.
- Good communication skills especially on social media and the internet
- Excellent writing and reporting skills in English
- Able to work with minimum supervision
- Knowledge of teaching methodology will be an added advantage
- Be a self-starter
- Strong people management skills
- Strong planning, budgeting monitoring, and evaluation skills
- Hardworking, honest, and reliable willing to work long sometimes awkward hours
- Driving license B