Lubambe Copper Mine Limited
Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large–scale mining license covering an area of approximately 228 square kilometres.
Completed and commissioned in 2012, Lubambe is an underground operation supported by a shaft and decline access with a 2.5 million tonne per annum capacity ore concentrator. The mine’s current depth is 450 meters producing a high-grade copper concentrate which is then treated at Zambian smelters.
The mine currently employs 718 direct employees and a further 1,966 contractors. It places the highest priority on safety with a world-class safety system.
Supporting local communities and suppliers is a key business focus of the mine.
EMR Capital owns an 80% controlling interest in Lubambe, while ZCCM-IH owns 20%.
The Mine seeks to employ an experienced and qualified individual in the following position:
SENIOR PLANNING ENGINEER (x1)
This position reports to the Mine Engineering Manager.
Core Purpose of the Position:
To monitor and manage all mine planning requirements of strategic mining districts and develop short to medium-term mine plans. The designs will be completed within a set of parameters from approved operational constraints and business objectives. Sequencing waste removal and ore extraction to ensure continuity of production output and sustainability throughout the life of the mine. To supervise and manage all Planning Engineers.
Key Performance Areas/Indicators (KPA/Is):
- To develop and design the long and medium-term mine design and dump schedules mining plans from Deswik Cad to Deswik Schedule to Excel.
- To develop and design the plan on a page on a monthly basis and provide forecast plans in 6 months to 1-year schedules mining plans from Deswik Cad to Deswik Scheduling to Excel.
- Mine Scheduling – Develop internal plans and schedules to ensure the planning department assists the mine in achieving short, medium- & long-term strategic goals.
- Mine Design – Develop detailed mine design/stoping layouts that ensure the best mineral resource utilisation based on survey and geological data.
- Discuss, coordinate and resolve long-term and short-term planning and scheduling issues with personnel throughout the company and with contractor organisations.
- Deliver timely, accurate and sensitive information that facilitates a clear understanding of the historical performance of the mine and about future performance targets.
- Optimize mine design/stoping layouts to incorporate updated methodology, reduce development requirements and increase mining productivity.
- Set up and manage planning systems so that production data is collected efficiently and utilised in the adjustment of the mine design to improve general mining efficiencies.
- Coordinate daily, weekly and monthly production planning meetings. Carry out mine planning functions as directed by the Mine Engineering Manager.
- Team Work – Work within the greater Technical Services Department, including Geology and Survey sections and other departments, as required in achieving their objectives.
- Monitoring and controlling efficiencies and powder factors on primary and secondary development and stope production.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Mining Engineering (BEng/BSc) or equivalent qualification.
- Member of the Engineering Institution of Zambia (EIZ).
- Holder of current Zambian Blasting licence and valid First Aid Certificate.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in underground mines, including mechanised open stoping and jumbo development.
- Supervisory and leadership skills.
- Experience in mentoring and coaching junior staff.
- Understanding of performance management and instilling accountability.
- Strong planning and analytical skills coupled with solid exposure in Deswik Cad, Deswik IS, Deswik Sched, Deswik Adv UGM, Deswik SO and Deswik D&B or other mine design software.
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to [email protected]. Please indicate the job title of the role you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail. The closing date for receipt of applications is Tuesday, 8th November, 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.