Mabiza Resources Limited (“Mabiza”) operates the Munali Nickel Mine (“Munali”), which is located in Mazabuka District, 80kms south of Lusaka, Zambia. Mabiza is a wholly-owned entity of Consolidated Nickel Mines Ltd.
The Mine is a modern, world-class facility with fully mechanized underground operations. To support this vision, Mabiza is seeking the services of an experienced and qualified individual to take up the position of:
Position: Senior Accountant Taxation
Department: Finance and Administration
Reporting: Administration Manger
To ensure that Mabiza Resources Limited complies with its tax and commercial obligations and to provide high-quality tax and commercial input to the company.
- Management of tax obligations including income tax, VAT, mineral royalty, withholding tax, customs duty, and excise duty.
- Managing tax risks by ensuring the correct amount of taxes are paid on or before due dates.
- Management of tax accounting requirements, including ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of the tax entries in the statutory accounts and preparing the tax notes in the statutory accounts.
- Management of all tax-related requirements as defined in the Development Agreement with the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ).
- Liaise with tax advisers and ZRA with regards to any tax matters that are identified, and which arise in the course of business.
- Management of supplier relationships to ensure tax consequences are identified and correctly dealt with.
- Preparation of Tax policy and procedures.
- Management of tax audits and contact person for ZRA credibility and control assessments.
- Actively contribute to tax planning and provide tax advice to management.
- Reviewing material contracts for tax implications.
- Provide regular feedback on all taxation matters to enable effective management of key performance activities.
- Ensure that there is cost control by monitoring that taxes are only paid as and when due, review of tax accounts to avoid over and underpayments.
- Administering the Mabiza Zambian insurance program.
- Monitoring and recording compliance with GRZ statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Establishing and maintaining a company data room that records and tracks compliance with the company’s obligations to GRZ and other key stakeholders.
- Maintaining a register of all tenement and mining licenses and administering the register to ensure all licenses are current.
- Provide regular operational reports to enable effective management of the key performance activities.
- Accountable for completion of all tasks identified to the specified quality and timelines as assigned to this role.
- Develop, implement and maintain safe work procedures and promote high safety and health awareness. Promote and comply with the company Occupational Health & Safety Policy.
- Be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the team.
- Ensure appropriate facilities, procedures, and workforce competence to achieve legal compliance, incident prevention, and the achievement of tasks in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Maintain and develop relationships with stakeholders in Mabiza’s mining activities, consistent with the company’s Community Relations Policies.
- Become actively involved in Mabiza’s aims and objectives of engaging with the local community and strive to leave a positive impact on the longer-term outcomes for local people. Promote the integration between this engagement and the success of the business.
- Prepare and manage the budget for the function.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of up-to-date job procedures for all tasks performed within the function.
- Develop objectives for sharing common infrastructure and support services across the company and cascade this throughout the function.
- Be visible in the workplace.
Planning and Scheduling
- Assist the Administration Manager – in a support role with regards to the management of planned Audits and tax compliance across the site.
- Work with line Managers to achieve production and cost targets in conjunction with the daily, weekly and monthly mining plans that correspond with the annual production target
- Cascade plan and objectives through the team to ensure all activities are focused on agreed outcomes and reflected in the short-term mine plans.
- Review capital requirements prepared by direct reports and submit for approval.
- Review functional expenditure every month and ensure all variances to the budget are investigated and explained.
- Identify specific areas for cost improvement and ensure the development and implementation of the action plan to achieve these gains.
- Coordinate compilation of the annual functional budget.
- Review and monitor all safety, service level and financial performance indicators for the function and initiate corrective action where necessary.
- Deliver reports to the Administration Manager on agreed performance indicators and agreed standards and schedule.
Other than an immediate supervisor, direct reports and routine service providers:
- Heads of Department
- Section Heads
- Supply Department
- Training Providers
- Tax Advisors
- Administration Staff
- Finance Department
Key Role Qualifications Required:
Desirable, in addition to the key skills and experience:
- Degree in Accounting or any Professional Qualification such as ACCA / CIMA
- A Masters in Tax Law will be added Advantage
- Member of Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants.
Key Skills & Experience Required
- Significant experience (10 years) in taxation-related roles in the ZRA profession and mining sector.
- Detailed understanding of Zambian tax regime.
- Sound understanding of the principles and practice of tax administration.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite application.
- Able to demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian driver’s license.
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team safely and improve team safety awareness.
- High-level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Zambia.
- Experience in managing costs and budgeting
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet applications.
- MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels
- Confident communicator with senior management, legal entities, and external stakeholders
- Strong report writing and presentation skills.
- Able to read and write English proficiently.
Essential Personal Attributes & Qualities:
- Able to deliver results on quoted targets.
- Able to build relationships and engage people in continuous improvement processes.
- Prepared to challenge “the way we do things”.
- Always identifies the priorities correctly and works in a self-directed manner.
- Constructs systems that are the best method now and sustainable into the future.
- Able to step back from direct control of “hands-on” work.
- Successfully delegates and trusts specialist staff for technical support.
- Manages interacting projects.
- Understands the “big picture”
- Maintains or enhances others’ self-esteem.
- Listens and responds with empathy.
- Asks for help and encourages involvement.
- Shares thoughts, feelings, and rationale (to build trust).
- Provide support without removing responsibility (to build ownership).
- Seeks to engage with all people associated with the Mabiza Operations and to understand, learn from and share cultural differences.
- Office and mining areas when required to conduct training
MRL offers equal employment opportunities. If you are ready to take up this opportunity, e-mail or post your CV with a full application letter by 4th June 2021 to
HR Business Partner
Mabiza Resources Limited
Or email your application and C.V to: [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.