Maryland Global Initiative Corporation (MGIC)
The University of Maryland Baltimore through its affiliate Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation manages multiple grants in Zambia and is recruiting for Program Accountant;
Perform timely and accurate data entry in the accounting system. Cash and bank account management and ensure completeness and accuracy as well as adhere to standards for the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation.
- Prepares cheques, reviews payment vouchers, and checks petty cash payments.
- Ensures that all invoices are paid promptly to protect the reputation of MGIC.
- Prepares Bank and Cash reconciliation statements.
- Submits monthly closeout reports, together with all supporting receipts and vouchers.
- Banks all cash received and effect all cash withdrawals.
- Ensures correct payment of income tax and other statutory deductions.
- Submits requests for monthly wire transfers to ensure sufficient running cost funds are received for the program
- Timely capturing data into the financial management system.
- Prepares and supports internal and external financial audits.
- Monitors expenditures, ensuring the program is running in accordance with the budget.
- Safely stores and secures all cash, checkbooks, and financial records at all times.
- Disseminate and checks to ensure that any financial policies, as established by MGIC are implemented and adhered to.
- Work closely with Finance and Administration Assistants in the field offices
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CIMA, ACCA, ZICA, Finance, Business Administration, or other BA with related accounting experience.
- Member of ZICA
- More than 5 years of related experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Credit history review may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of best practices in the field as well as all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting compliance.
- Ability to effectively use analytical and organizational skills in order to carry out and follow through with complex assignments for which no clear precedents exist.
- Ability to provide advice and expertise both orally and in writing to clients, peers, subordinates, and management.
- Ability to communicate and interact with, as well as support effective partnerships with peers and subordinates.
- Skill in using PC applications for advanced analysis and useful reporting.
- Ability to establish and communicate ongoing and new priorities and projects in order to meet scheduled deadlines in a changing environment.
- Ability to reprioritize data as change warrants; ability to change.
- Team player.