Maryland Global Initiative Corporation (MGIC)
The University of Maryland Baltimore through its affiliate Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation manages multiple grants in Zambia and is recruiting for multiple positions.
Perform advanced-level review and complex analysis of pre and post-grant and non-grant accounting transactions to ensure completeness and accuracy as well as adhere to standards for the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation.
- Serve as lead department accountant for the MGIC operations.
- Define and monitor critical path activities, resolve issues, and escalate complex matters as needed to the appropriate contact(s).
- Create, maintain, and report financial data by funding source for the division each monthly and bi-monthly.
- Compile, maintain, explain, report bi-weekly Sponsor pipeline and spend plan reports and annual expenditure analysis report.
- Work with the in-country team to develop reporting by program area.
- Verify the accuracy of transactions and uniform application of policies, procedures, and acceptable standards.
- Receive, analyze, adjust, and prepare various internal/external financial ledgers, schedules, exhibits, and summaries along with any assigned databases utilized for financial reporting.
- Review an overwhelming number of financial transactions for completeness and accuracy.
- Reconcile in-country payroll accounting to make sure it is in line with the acceptable US and in-country payroll requirements.
- Interface with program managers in a team building, the spirited way in order to explain complex, financial reports and to guide the program staff to use the financial reports as an accounting tool.
- Examine and ensure the integrity/reliability of the in-country Financial Accounting System.
- Work with Finance Director, Principal investigators, faculty, or staff members to identify potential ledger discrepancies between the financial system and departmental records, providing statistical information to isolate these areas and recommend new procedures to prevent deviations or undesirable accounting trends.
- Research and provide an overview of procedures and programs for billing, receipt, collection, deposit, allocation of revenue to verify that the system is generating the appropriate entries. This may entail actually learning to use the systems.
- Develop processes and procedures to ensure consistent operations.
- Identify trends and develop solutions for processes that have an adverse impact on departmental records. Serve as subject matter expert for accounting system upgrades and changes.
- Track and maintain inventory databases for purchases on all funding sources.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CIMA, ACCA, ZICA, Finance, Business Administration, or other BA with related accounting experience.
- Member of ZICA
- More than 5 years of related experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Credit history review may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of best practices in the field as well as all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting compliance.
- Ability to research, compile, compare, forecast, and interpret facts and figures to make sound judgments based upon this knowledge.
- Ability to effectively use analytical and organizational skills in order to carry out and follow through with complex assignments for which no clear precedents exist.
- Ability to provide consulting advice and expertise both orally and in writing to clients, peers, subordinates, and management.
- Ability to lead and participate in the development of policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate and interact with, as well as support effective partnerships with peers and subordinates.
- Skill in serving as liaison with key external agencies, campuses, or other high-level contacts.
- Skill in using PC applications for advanced analysis and useful reporting.
- Ability to establish and communicate ongoing and new priorities and projects in order to meet scheduled deadlines in a changing environment.
- Ability to reprioritize data as change warrants; ability to change.
- Team player