Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation
Position: Clinical Educator – (3 positions)
Location: Mongu, Lusaka, Chipata
Reports to: Provincial Coordinator
Under the guidance of the Provincial Coordinator, the Nurse – Correctional facilities will support Zambia Correctional Services (ZCS) and Ministry of Health (MoH) to deliver high quality, high impact HIV prevention services to inmates at all the community Impact to Reach Key and Underserved Individuals for Treatment and Support (CIRKUITS) supported correctional facilities in Lusaka, Eastern and Western Provinces of Zambia. He/she will also oversee the implementation of a peer educator program for inmates and provide peer navigation services for discharged inmates and remandees that have tested HIV positive. He/She will be based be based at any of the CIRKUITS supported facilities in the respective provinces.
Duties and responsibilities
HIV prevention services
- Ensure routine HIV testing services are available at the facilities for inmates requesting testing or referred for testing by a healthcare provider and that all inmates testing HIV positive are initiated into care and tretament.
- Work with Zambia Correctional Services, MoH and CURKUITS relevant staff to establish and ensure ongoing entry, routine, and exit HIV testing services for inmates at the assigned correctional facility.
- Provide pre, post-test and pre release counselling and offer assistance for disclosure and psycho-social support as required
- Facilitate repeat testing for HIV-negative inmates three months after initial testing
- Screen inmates for TB prior to ART initiation and offer necessary support
- Ensure that all HTS, Linkage and other HIV testing services registers and documentation are properly completed by the assigned health care provider
- Support continuous quality improvement aimed at improving HIV servcie delivery at the supported correctional facilities.
- Review all program registers to ensure information entered is accurate
- Work with the correctional staff and peers and ensure that systems are in place to call out all newly arrived and soon to be exiting inmates for HIV testing services
- Oversee the peers allocated to departing inmates and remandees to ensure adequate follow-up is done and ensure inmates are connected to care in the community.
- Collaborate with ZCS and MoH health workers on a regular basis to identify implementation challenges and solutions, and share lessons learnt for smooth implementation of the ZCS HIV prevention program.
- Directly supervise Community Lisiason Officers (CLOs), Data Associates (DA) and Inmate peer educators (IPE) to effectively support HIV service delivery.
- Coordinate HIV service delivery with other partners providing HIV correctional health related services within the assigned correctional facility
- Identify ZCS and facility training needs and organize training specific programs aimed at adressing the identified gaps.
- Supports the CLOs and DAs in accurate completion of all programmatic data collection tools and registers
- Liaise with correctional facility staff to ensure appropriate to ensure efficient requisition procedures are in place for all program supplies
- Coordinate with other CDC/ PEPFAR implementing partners in the catchment areas assigned to the facility and ensure harmonization of HIV support services at a particular facility.
- Consolidate and submit weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, annual and other adhoc reports as requested.
- Ensure efficient and secure transfer of files between the correctional facility and local clinic for uploading of information into the Smart Care database
- Must be a Clinical officer, Registered Nurse, HIV Nurse prescriber with a valid praticing licence
- At least three (3) years experience in the management of a clinical program relating to HIV and or TB
- Command good oral and written communication in English
- Experience working with international and local NGOs as well as community-based organizations and previous work with ZCS is a plus
- Excellent problem-solving, decision-making and organizational skills, with ability to multi-task and work effectively in a highly demanding environment
- Familiarity in adult learning principles/techniques and demonstrated ability to design and facilitate learning opportunities for adults
- Computer literate, including MS Office Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience working in a correctional setting would be an added advantage.