At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Purpose of the role:
- The position of maintenance coordinator is to maximise plant availability through coordination of maintenance personnel and plant equipment spares to ensure set plant equipment reliability is achieved in a safe environment. This role is responsible for maintaining operational integrity of the plant and equipment in order to achieve production targets.
- Offer technical guidance to all supervisors under the superintendent to the plant runs efficiently and in safe manner.
- Be a self-starter and able to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Demonstrate a commitment to work place safety and the safety of your subordinates.
- Be accurate, methodical, and practical when giving guidance to mechanical supervisors and artisans.
- Ensure subordinates follow laid down policies and procedures as out lined by management.
- Enforce compliance to work order attachments and documents such as JSA’s, work procedure’s, SWI’s, etc.
- Co-ordinate and ensure compliance with safety and environmental management systems, policies and procedures along with ensuring that all risks have been identified, managed and safe working environment is maintained.
- Enforce good housekeeping practices are maintained by enforcing cleaning up before, during and after every task and not leaving any hazards within the work place.
- Provide the superintendent with practical suggestions and improvements for the section.
- Coordinate with departmental team members, as well as process departmental members.
- Have the ability to plan for shutdowns, arrange materials and manpower allocation in collaboration with planning department.
- Assist in the proactive identification of repair and maintenance works required, which includes spares sourcing abilities.
- Any other duties as directed by your direct supervisor.
Qualification, Experience & Skill:
- G12 Certificate
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in mechanical engineering from a recognized institution.
- Tertiary qualification in maintenance management will be advantageous.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a junior mechanical position.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a supervisory role mechanical engineer.
- Proven knowledge and experience on heavy mining units of processing plants in slurry pumps, flotation systems, thickener systems and filter presses.
- Construction and maintenance supervision background, with preference given to direct mining experience.
- Knowledge of milling and grinding systems will be advantageous.
- Must be familiar with safe working practices.
- Knowledge of Pronto will be advantageous.
- Plant specific experience on hard rock fixed copper processing plants.
- Previous experience in a large open pit mining, milling and flotation operation will be advantageous.
- Demonstrable experience with maintenance management systems and RCA will be advantageous.
- Ability to manage and implement company procedures.
- Ability to create a safety and quality conscious team.
- A valid Zambian vehicle driving permit.
- Registered as a member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
- Registered as a member of the Engineering Registration Board of Zambia (ERB).
- Have good communication skills
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Problem Solving Skills
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Team player
- Show Initiative