At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
- To obtain the best performance out of the grinding circuit by defending the circuit from threats to circuit utilisation, capacity and product quality, preventing and acting on spillage, and acting as the ‘eyes and ears’ of the Control Room Operator.
- To do this while keeping people safe, protecting the equipment, and ensuring that no discharges occur to environment.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Area of accountability is all ‘downstairs’ milling equipment from mill basement, to mill floor, to second level. Includes stockpile and mill feeders, stockpile feed conveyors. Auxiliary equipment includes mill chiller water system, mill lubrication systems, ball delivery system including storage hoppers, drive in sump, event pond. Boundary at the pebble crusher includes the CV9001/9002 pebble transfer station, up to point of delivery to CV9002.
Job Specific Competencies
- Wear your PPE
- Follow KML safety procedures and guidelines
- Undertake any ad hoc or non-routine requests assigned by your supervisor
- Ensure the mill is shut down safely and quickly without spillage. Ensure the mill is ready for subsequent re-start.
- Complete operating checks according to instructions given by the supervisor and deliver to the supervisor prior to end of each shift.
- Communicate issues that will affect the Rougher Flotation Operator.
- Escalate for advice and/or approval when needed.
- Complete shift handover.
- Defend the drive in sump from spillage.
- Inspect the circuit regularly and report all spillage and leaks.
- Slow or stop operations if slurry goes outside the bund.
- Minimise buildup of pebbles in the pebble bays.
- Ensure the grinding units are charged with media according to the schedule as advised by the metallurgist.
Key Job Attributes
- Strong drive to maximise production and improve the circuit operations.
- Commitment to SHEC performance;
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability for circuit operations;
- Ability to work and manage problems/actions across the timeframe of one shift;
- Possess ability to analyse and understand metallurgical & equipment information;
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Be diligent and thorough in approach;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- English language fluency.
Experience required to perform in this job
At least 2 years’ experience in a processing plant, with exposure to grinding processes, preferably in copper production.
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Diploma in Metallurgy or related field