a) Inclusive and participatory decision-making;
b) Strengthened responsive and accountable institutions;
c) Transparent institutions with improved access to information;
d) Improved technical and organizational capacities of national electoral stakeholders;
e) Credible and legitimate institutions work with integrity, and f) Enhanced conflict prevention and mitigation mechanisms.
In the light of recommendations of evaluations of past electoral assistance programmes implemented by UNDP in Zambia, emphasis is placed on effective monitoring and evaluation of the impact of the project on beneficiaries and on the electoral process in its entirety. To support this work, the project seeks a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to apply appropriate monitoring and evaluation for all project related endeavours according to best practices and advise institutional partners on monitoring and evaluation mechanisms. The Specialist will also provide sustainable institutional development support through transferring monitoring and evaluation know-how to local partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supporting M&E activities including reporting and final evaluations
2. Evidence generation and lessons learned
3. Capacity building in grant management and monitoring and evaluation
4. Supporting project management
Supporting M&E activities including reporting and final evaluations Oversee and execute M & E activities included in the Annual Work Plans and the M & E plan, with particular focus on results and impacts. This will include following:
- Based on the AWPs and the programme budgets, design the framework for the physical and process monitoring of project activities;
- Promote a results-based and gender-responsive approach to monitoring and evaluation, emphasizing results and impact, and identifying sources of data, collection methods, who collects data, how often, cost of collection and who analyses it;
- Develops and maintains the project’s monitoring and evaluation plan, based on project document results framework, log frames and indicators;
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of M & E, to ensure the quality of the data gathered by the project/IPs and to verify the accuracy of the reported data and to identify where adaptations might be needed;
- Record report and analyze data against indicators listed in the logical framework against indicators and Annual Work Plan;
- Prepare periodic plan for corrective action to strengthen controls and approach and/or realign the project activities to achieve desired project outputs;
- Facilitate, act as resource person, and join if required any external supervision and evaluation missions;
- Prepare regular M&E reports, update risk matrix and logs and review project reports, back-tooffice reports, activity implementation reports;
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual reports, in adherence to and compliance with project Annual Work Plans (AWP) and M&E frameworks.
Evidence generation and Lessons Learned
- Design and implement a system to identify, analyze, document and disseminate lessons learned;
- Facilitate exchange of experiences by supporting and coordinating participation in any existing network of projects sharing common characteristics;
- Identify and participate in additional networks, for example scientific or policy-based networks that may also yield lessons that can benefit project implementation;
- Monitor the follow up of evaluation recommendations, document and provide feedback on, and disseminate lessons learned;
- Ensure that TOR for consultants recruited by the project also incorporate mechanisms to capture and share lessons learned through their inputs to the project, and to ensure that the results are reflected in the reporting system described above;
- Leads the identification and synthesizing of lessons learnt and best practices emerging from the Programmes;
- Contribute to ensuring that lessons learnt from the project are well reflected in efforts aimed at building UN system capacity for effective programming on the rights of persons with disabilities;
- Coordinate analysis of real-time program monitoring data collected on a weekly and termly basis;
- Lead and conduct analysis of quantitative data as well as qualitative data on all program inputs, outputs and outcomes;
- Compile and publish quantitative and qualitative monitoring results in visually-attractive Monitoring Reports for internal and external audiences;
- Support the Project data queries in an accurate and timely manner.
Capacity building in grant management and monitoring and evaluation
- Provides technical guidance and support to implementing partners to strengthen their management and implementation of activities, as well as their M & E plans and systems, and develops risk mitigation and management plans and establish and tracking system to monitor the implementation of the risk matrix and management plans;
- Work with partners to assist in developing an M & E plan to monitor and evaluate the progress in implementing its strategic and annual workplans;
- Based on the partners’ strategic and annual workplans, and in particular the relevant operating budgets, design the framework for the physical and process monitoring of partners’ activities;
- Support partners in defining the most relevant baseline data, assessing the quality of indicators and sources of verification;
- As needed, provide relevant staff in implementing partner organizations with comprehensive M & E training, including establishing monitoring frameworks and understanding how to report against them;
- Ensure that partners have copies of documentation that will act as a knowledge resource base for all future M & E activities that such partners wish to undertake in future.
Support to Project Management
- Prepare a detailed M & E budget and calendar of M & E activities;
- In consultation with the Knowledge Management Officer, coordinate and guide the preparation of all project reports in accordance with approved reporting formats and ensure their timely submission. This includes quarterly progress reports, annual project report, inception report, and ad-hoc technical reports as requested by the Senior Advisor/Project Manager and by the UNDP Country Office;
- Such reports should identify problems, causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation, and provide specific recommendations;
- Ensure that ToRs for consultants recruited by the project incorporate mechanisms to capture and share lessons learned through their inputs to the project;
- Organize (and provide) refresher training in M&E for project and implementing partner staff, local organizations, and primary stakeholders with view of developing local M&E capacity;
- Other duties as required by the Senior Advisor/Project Manager or the UNDP Country Office.
Under the guidance and supervision of the DSZ Project Manager/Senior Advisor and in close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management Officer, the M&E Specialist will consolidate, update and manage the M&E and Learning systems in place to ensure consistency across reporting and enabling the project to measure progress against its indicators as well as showcasing achieved results and impact.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact;
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems;
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences;
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands;
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results;
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter agency collaboration;
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity.
Cross functional & technical competencies
Business Direction & Strategy
- Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with authority, area of expertise and resources
Business Direction & Strategy
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for content, or responsive to a stated need
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
- Evaluation Ability to make an independent judgement based on set criteria and benchmarks
- Working with Evidence and Data: Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision making.
- Master’s degree in development studies, International Relations, Monitoring and Evaluation, Political Science, Public Administration, Economics, or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in related fields with additional 2 years of relevant experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Minimum of five years (Master’s degree) or seven years’(Bachelor degree) relevant professional experience in planning, design and implementation of M & E systems, including experience in application of the logical framework, other strategic planning approaches, M & E methods and data/information analysis;
- High level of computer literacy (Excel, Word, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages; experience in the use of web-based management systems and good technical report writing skills;
- Experience working at national and sub-national levels on national development issues an asset;
- Experience with Results-based Management with solid understanding of and experience on knowledge management;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP systems particularly Atlas and related UNDP management tools desirable;
- Strong knowledge of UN or UNDP rules, policies and procedures is an asset;
- Experience in building capacity of national stakeholders in the area of development programmes as well as M&E is an asset;
- Experience working with UNDP, other UN entities, donor organizations or development organizations is an asset;
- Experience in electoral support is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.