Where teaching meets technology
Mwabu is an education business that supports African primary school teachers with appropriate technology to improve learning outcomes, even in the most challenging of rural areas.
iSchool Zambia Limited trading as Mwabu (Mwabu’s subsidiary) was founded in Zambia in 2010 and was amongst the earliest developers and deployers of educational content on tablet devices. Over 50,000 licenses of our comprehensive, curriculum-aligned content have been distributed in Zambia, where it is used by parents and teachers in thousands of homes and community, private and government schools. We also have a presence in 6 other African countries.
Mwabu has unparalleled experience of developing and deploying digital educational solutions, including content, training, and hardware, into Zambian schools. We are currently expanding our portfolio to adapt our content for international use, reinforce our literacy and numeracy offerings, and enhance our data capture and analytics capabilities.
The purpose of the job is to translate educational content from English to Lozi, Tonga and Bemba. The English product has been rebuilt in Articulate Storyline to make it more readily accessible and editable. We would now like to create local language products by replacing English text and audio files with existing text and audio in the mentioned languages. You will be required to check existing text and audio against the English product and make changes as required to match the English. Training on project processes and the use of Articulate Storyline will be provided. We are looking for candidates who:
- are fluent in at least two of the above local Zambian languages, as well as English
- have good computer skills, preferably some experience using Articulate Storyline or other e-learning creation software
- have some teaching experience, or other relevant experience in the education sector; and
- have a keen eye for detail, are able to work to exact standards and check their own work.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Use of the required software tools
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling, and punctuation accuracy
- Liaise with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g., font and structure)
- Review and transcribe audio or any other material with a high degree of accuracy and expression.
- Accurately capture cultural subtleties, nuances, and emphasis, including socio-cultural essentials embedded in texts such as tribe, religious, political, and ethnic elements
- Communicate with team members both in person and online, as required
- Perform other duties related to this exercise as assigned
- Fluency in English and any of the following two MoE recognised languages of instruction: Icibemba, Citonga, and Silozi
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of content editing tools
- Time-management skills
- Attention to detail/Quality orientated
- Command of basic software competence: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive
- Degree/Diploma in- Language/Literature/Education/Library Studies
- Additional certification in Linguistics is a plus
Reports to: Product Manager & Dotted to Country Manager
Department : Product
Internal Department Interaction: IT, Administration, Product, Projects
Proposed Salary : Volume/Quantity based (Script Based)
Location : Able to Travel/Field Work or Remote/Head Office
All Applications should be forwarded to the email as attached before the closing date. Only shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org