Website Nathan Associates Inc.
USAID Zambia Revenue for Growth Project
Nathan Associates, Inc. is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction.
Nathan is implementing the USAID Zambia Revenue for Growth Project (R4G). R4G supports the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) in its efforts to improve domestic revenue mobilization and expand the fiscal space for public spending and investments in service delivery and poverty reduction. R4G engages both government and non-government stakeholders to build capacity in tax policy analysis, improve tax compliance and administration, and strengthen the tax culture in a manner that facilitates private sector growth and accountability relationships between taxpayers and the GRZ.
Tax Policy Advisor Key Responsibilities
Zambia has a tax incentives regime mainly predicated on the need to attract investment, reduce dependence on the mining sector, and diversity and stimulate growth in other sectors. Revenue costs of tax incentives are calculated when tax incentive measures are introduced. However, other non-revenue cost considerations are not evaluated, and a comprehensive framework for continuous evaluation of the overall benefits of the incentive regime is not in place. Inefficient tax incentives can be a drain on revenues if the economic benefit cannot be clearly accounted for. To address this issue, the GRZ would like support in establishing a cost/benefit framework for tax incentives and a tax expenditure monitoring and reporting framework for calculating revenue costs and the effectiveness of tax incentives.
To address these needs, R4G is seeking a short-term Tax Policy Advisor to conduct the following tasks:
- Train GRZ staff on methods used to conduct a cost/benefit analysis of tax incentives;
- Support GRZ staff in conducting a cost/benefit analysis of selected tax incentives in Zambia; and
- Support GRZ staff in designing and drafting a tax expenditure report.
All support will be provided remotely unless otherwise agreed. This activity is projected to start in mid- to late August 2022 and be completed by September 25, 2022. The timing and payment of the deliverables will be agreed with the candidate selected for this position. The Tax Policy Advisor will report to the R4G Chief of Party (COP) or his designee.
Qualifications & Skills
The Tax Policy Advisor is expected to possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Master’s Degree in in economics or related discipline;
- 10+ years’ experience conducting economic analyses of existing or proposed tax provisions;
- 5+ years’ experience conducting cost/benefit analysis of tax incentives, preferably while working for a government body;
- Experience drafting a tax expenditure report, preferably while working for a government body;
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with senior government officials;
- Experience in training government officials in conducting cost/benefit analyses of tax incentives and in drafting tax expenditure reports;
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills; and
- Knowledge of current tax issues in Zambia preferred.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter and CV to [email protected] on or before August 15, 2022. Please include “R4G Tax Policy Advisor” in the subject line. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to RGARecruiting@nathaninc.com