Website Nathan Associates LLC
POSITION TITLE: Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Tax Specialist (full-time)
BUSINESS LINE AND GROUP: International Development, Economic Policy and Governance (EP&G)
POSITION LOCATION: Lusaka, Zambia
Nathan is implementing the USAID Zambia Revenue for Growth Project (R4G) which supports the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) in its efforts to improve domestic revenue mobilization and expand the fiscal space for public spending and investments in service delivery and poverty reduction. R4G engages both government and non-government stakeholders to build capacity in tax policy analysis, improve tax compliance and administration, and strengthen the tax culture in a manner that facilitates private sector growth and accountability relationships between taxpayers and the GRZ.
R4G is currently seeking a Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Tax Specialist who will, in conjunction with R4G technical staff, examine tax policy tax administration issues through a GESI lens to determine their impact on gender equality and marginalized groups and, when appropriate, develop strategies to reduce biases in the tax system. The GESI Tax Specialist will also be responsible for the design and integration of GESI interventions for R4G. This will involve: ensuring project implementation integrates GESI throughout the project life; liaising with government partners, project stakeholders and other donor-funded projects in the public finance space on GESI-related issues, activities and indicators; and training stakeholders and staff on GESI and tax issues. This position is full-time and reports directly to the Chief of Party. This position is open to Zambian citizens and residents. Key responsibilities are listed below.
- Conduct research on the GESI impact of selected tax policy and tax administration issues and draft reports documenting the results of the research in coordination with R4G technical staff and government and non-governmental partners as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party and home office gender staff, provide leadership and guidance on a GESI strategy for R4G.
- Collaborate with all assigned government partner agencies and project stakeholders to promote integration of GESI concepts into the design and implementation of project activities.
- Develop indicators for GESI activities for incorporation into the Project Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) plan in conjunction with R4G’s M&E specialist and in line with overall project goals.
- Train government partners and other stakeholders on GESI and tax topics.
- In collaboration with other R4G technical experts and under the guidance of the Chief of Party, work with stakeholders on their public events, media strategy and publications on GESI and tax topics.
- Describe tax and GESI activities and results in reports and documents for submission to USAID and Nathan headquarters.
- Ensure that R4G teams are collecting sex and age disaggregated data and using gender sensitive data collection methods in order to understand and respond to program results with diverse participants.
- In collaboration with other R4G technical experts and under the guidance of the Chief of Party, identify successful project GESI interventions, lessons learned and policy recommendations that can be used to showcase the project in publications, at conferences or similar events.
- Ensure R4G integrates GESI into all activities as appropriate.
Represent R4G at GESI conferences/events and other conferences and events as directed.
- Support the selection of and oversee the work of the grantees and consultants who are contracted to conduct GESI related work and other assigned work outputs for R4G.
- Perform all reporting duties required by R4G, including submitting timely content to R4G progress reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual).
- As agreed with the R4G Chief of Party, lead and /or support R4G activities in tax, public-private dialogue, communications and other R4G areas.
All tasks will be conducted in Lusaka unless otherwise directed.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Master’s preferred) in gender and tax related fields, economics, public policy, or a related field required.
- Two (2) or more years of work experience on GESI issues.
- Two (2) or more years of work experience on tax issues.
- Sound understanding of the socio-economic situation in Zambia as it relates to GESI-Tax programming;
- Sound understanding of USAID’s GESI strategy.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to maintain productive relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders and staff.
- Experience working with USAID-funded projects strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Zambian tax policies and tax administration practices preferred.
Candidates are required to submit a cover letter, CV, and writing sample to [email protected] by November 24, 2023. Please include “R4G GESI Tax Specialist” in the subject line. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Applications missing a CV, cover letter and writing sample will not be considered for this position.