Mary Begg Health Serviecs
MARY BEGG HEALTH SERVICES
POSITION: OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH REGISTERED NURSE (1)
LOCATION: MARY BEGG HEALTH SERVICES – KALUMBILA
CONTRACT TYPE: FIXED TERM 2 YEARS
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Ensure that standard operating procedures (SOPs) and policies are followed with regards to occupational health and nursing care that is in keeping with the Zambian nursing scope of practice and MBHS standards of care. All MBHS SOPs are read, understood and signed for policy compliance.
- Provide nursing care that is respectful, ethical, compassionate, competent, caring and professional at all times.
- Promote high quality occupational health screening by performing daily checks and quality testing on all OH medical equipment. Report any faults or inaccurate results immediately to the OH doctor or Clinic/Hospital Manager for review and repair.
- Demonstrate ability to work competently in occupational health and any other areas that might be assigned by the Clinic/Hospital Manager.
- Must be accessible at all times when rostered and scheduled for shift work.
- Maintain client dignity and confidentiality at all times. Make ethical decisions related to consent and confidentiality. Any breach in client confidentiality will result in a disciplinary action.
- Maintain effective timekeeping of OH operations to ensure that the service runs smoothly and with minimum total time spent at the OH department.
- Triage all clients/staff who use the OH service by checking vital signs (pulse, respiration, blood pressure, temperature & oxygen saturation) and conducting weight and height checks.
- Act as a chaperone for female patients when requested.
- Maintain hygienic and safe work environments in compliance with the clinic’s SOP.
- Prepare and always tidy up a doctor’s consultation room before or after a patient examination.
- Inform the OH doctor immediately of any abnormal test /diagnostic results.
- Ensure all OH screening results are signed, dated and filed in the correct patient’s medical folder.
- Promote high quality screening by following respective procedures as directed by the OH doctor.
- Attend clinic and department meetings when scheduled and raise any issues with regards to improvement in OH service or patient care.
- Maintain proper and legible nursing documentation, in keeping with best practice guidelines and MBCC standards. Nursing assessment and observations are clearly documented according to the OH SOP.
- Ensure that OH client files are complete and have necessary documentation present like patient consent forms, pre-medical, periodic and exit screening & examination, MBCC OH tracking form, laboratory results, any diagnostic testing, risk assessments, doctor’s consultation notes, any fitness to work certificates and injury on duty reports and follow-up assessments.
- Must demonstrate competence in effectively using the spirometer, audiometer and vision equipment and ability to understand the parameters of abnormal readings.
- Ensure that all follow up visits for client assessments is carried out in a timely manner.
- Properly training on how to test for spirometry, audiometry and vision examinations.
- Conduct daily calibration of spirometers and sign and file appropriately.
- Carry out weekly biological calibration of audiometers and sign and file appropriately.
- Carry out daily listening checks of audiometers and the background noise checks in the booths. Carry out otoscopic examinations prior to audiometry testing.
- All calibration print-outs must be signed. Report to the OH Doctor/ CMO where OH equipment needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Continually demonstrate adherence to the Infection Control Policy, especially maintaining proper hand washing technique (Five Moments). Use and maintain correct personal protective equipment (PPE) where appropriate.
- Support and/or mentor an enrolled nurse or student nurse or a more junior RN as directed by the Unit Leader.
- Promote good health and patient-centred care though patient education on recognising occupational hazards.
- Attend mandatory role specific in-house training, as directed by the unit leader or training coordinator.
- Comply with all legal regulations set out by the GNC or Health Professional Council of Zambia.
- Perform any other duties or reasonable requests assigned by the Unit Leader, OH doctors, CMO or Clinic/Hospital Manager within the nursing scope of practice.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
- Must have a Diploma in Registered Nursing or country equivalent
- Must be registered with the General Nursing Council of Zambia (GNC) and have a valid license to practice.
- Training in Occupational Health Nursing with appropriate certificate
- Strong Communication. Interpersonal & Influential Skill
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Fluent in local languages relevant to the local community
- Counselling Skills
- High degree of IT literacy
- 3 years’ experience
HOW TO APPLY
Only detailed Curriculum Vitae should be sent. (we will ask for original certificates and registrations if called for interview).
Closing date: 7th October 2020.
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be shortlisted and contacted