At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
- To administer the safety performance of First Quantum Minerals’ Trident operation, to monitor / assess hazardous or unsafe situations, and develop / facilitate measures to minimize risks as far as reasonably practicable.
Specific Job Responsibility
- Promote occupational health and safety within the organization and develop safer and healthier ways of working.
- Inspect workplaces and equipment, to ensure they meet safety regulations and to identify hazards and risks.
- Ensure that workplaces conform with organizational procedures and safety standards.
- Work with engineers, supervisors, coordinators, and other professionals to ensure the safety of worksites and work practices.
- Ensure that personal protective equipment, such as hearing protection, dust masks, safety glasses, footwear and safety helmets, is being used in workplaces according to regulations.
- Ensure that dangerous materials are correctly stored.
- Identify work areas for potential accident and health hazards, such as toxic fumes and explosive gas-air mixtures and implement appropriate control measures.
- Ensure that personnel are aware of, and complies with all legislation relating to duty of care, workplace activities and the use of plant, equipment and substances
- Record and report hazards, accidents, injuries and health issues within the workplace.
- Assist with the investigation of accidents and unsafe working conditions, study possible causes and recommend remedial action.
- Conduct training sessions for coordinators, supervisors and workers on health and safety practices and legislation.
- Assist in coordination of emergency procedures, mine rescues, firefighting and first aid crews, if/where required.
- Communicate frequently with management to report on the status of occupational health and safety programs/initiatives.
- Develop occupational health and safety systems, including policies, procedures and manuals.
- Review and verify action plan implementation.
- Review, liaise, moderate and close-out events on INX InControl.
- Conduct inspections and audits, as per key performance indicators.
- Facilitate visual felt leadership (VFL) within their respective departmental areas.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Job Specific Competencies
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Certification and experience in First Aid is a requirement.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite.
- Must be able to identify hazards, assess risks to health and safety, put appropriate safety controls in place and provide advice about accident prevention and occupational health to management and employees.
Key Job Attributes
- Must be alert and assertive
- Attention to detail is required
- Tactful and diplomatic
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Discretion and respect for confidentiality and privacy
- Integrity and honesty
- Must be ready to attend and/conduct safety briefings everyday
Experience and Qualifications
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar field (preferably in the mining industry)
- As a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety or other mining-relevant University qualification.
- Valid drivers’ licence is a requirement (At least 2 years’ experience)