Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The USAID Let’s Read Project is a 5-year, $48.9 million project in the five target provinces of Eastern, Muchinga, Southern, Northwestern and Western Zambia that works to improve reading outcomes for approximately 1.4 million children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grades 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
The Operations Manager (OM) will be an integral part of the USAID Let’s Read Operations Team comprised of the Procurement Manager (PM) and Logistics Officers (LO) as well as coordinating operational and logistic issues with the five Provincial Administration and Finance Officers, MoGE, project implementing partners and other key stakeholders and partners to support the overall administrative management of the Let’s Read program. S/he is expected to work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) and technical team leads to ensure a full range of administrative and operations support in compliance with EDC and donor regulations.
Essential Functions, but are not limited to:
- Participate in regular planning activities with technical team for seamless administrative and logistical support.
- Closely coordinate with Operations and Finance teams regarding provision of support for field related activities.
- Set up operational procedures in compliance with EDC policies, USAID regulations rooted in effective management practice in close cooperation with the COP and EDC Home Office support staff.
- Conduct reviews and assessments of field office procedures and procurement documentation as directed.
- Identify and address areas of risk and operational inefficiencies.
- Develop performance improvement plans for office operational procedures as needed.
- Participate in meetings to plan for activities, provide support and resolve issues.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Compliance to oversee the enforcement of compliance and adherence to donor regulations and procedures including maintenance of internal control, accountability of EDC resources for all operational issues
- Responsible for management oversight to Lusaka based Office Manager and Logistics Officers to address any office needs, maintenance requests from Zambia staff and oversee overall office operations.
- Provide clear guidance to field administrative teams on office management and coordinate approval of field operations requests by project management.
Other as needed
- Provide clear guidance to all staff members on proper procurement policies and procedures.
- Supervise bulk procurements in close coordination with Procurement Manager and EDC Home Office team.
- Facilitate planning both at Lusaka and provincial office levels to ensure coordinated support for program activities and cost effective and compliant procurement processes.
- Organize weekly meetings and quarterly planning activities, as necessary.
- Oversee status of vendor contracts, ensuring timely payment and follow up on contracted tasks.
- Support the Procurement Manager and Provincial Admin and Finance Officers to manage clear and compliant documentation of procurement steps, sampling documentation as needed as a preventative measure.
- Supervise the timely preparation of inventory management documents, with verification and submission on a regular basis for EDC internal regulations and USAID requirements.
- Support the clearance of equipment from customs, including but not limited to IT equipment and TLMs.
- Lead planning efforts for TLM and IT equipment distribution with support from provincial teams
Other as needed
Safety and Security Management
- As security focal person, coordinate with project provincial offices, other USAID-supported projects, relevant non-government organizations, and/or law-enforcement agencies to gather information and updates on current security situation in project sites, as appropriate.
- In coordination with Finance and Compliance Director provide guidance to all staff and disseminate advisories on routine safety and security precautions.
- Supervises Lusaka-based procurement and logistics team and Office Manager including providing on-going planning support, monitoring and performance evaluations of each of this unit.
- Understand and enforce the terms of USAID contract, specifically expected project results, and ensure compliance with requirements.
- Research USAID regulations, coordinate with EDC Home Office for consistent interpretations, and ensure proper application when relevant.
- Provide support to other special initiatives as may be needed.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential documents and issues, and with co-workers and EDC partners.
Reporting and Organizational Relationships:
The Operations Manager reports to the Chief of Party.
- Masters degree in a related field.
Skills and Experience:
- At least seven or more years of relevant work experience in a managerial capacity
- Familiarity with USAID regulations
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications
- Knowledge in preparing effective presentations and reports
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team of professionals;
- Ability to manage multiple, time-sensitive tasks professionally and with high quality;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment; and
- Willingness to travel to provinces covered by the project.
- Fluency in English is required.
Please note: There will be no relocation allowance provided for this position.
Job Closing Date: 4 October 2020
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
Applications submitted without a resume will not be considered.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.