Department: Smelter – Process
Section: Secondary Smelting
Position reports to: Shift Controller – Secondary Smelting
Direct reports: Shift Coordinator.
Operate, monitor and control the Peirce-Smith Converters (PSC) and related plant equipment and processes.
The holder of this position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Ensure that the PSCs and associated plant and equipment items operate efficiently and safely within prescribed limits to achieve production targets.
- Ensure that good quality slag is consistently produced
- Ensure that blister copper, of the target quality and quantity are consistently produced
- Respond to alarms and process disturbances in a timely manner
- Operate safety systems such as Emergency Stop Systems in the event of an emergency
- Make process adjustments as directed by the Shift controller – PSC Clearly and accurately communicate the status of the PSC to others, ie. field operators, engineering team, other control room operators (e.g. Sulphuric Acid Plant)
- Maintain communication with upstream and downstream process units (Electric Furance and Anode Furnaces)
- Maintain an accurate operating logsheet using MS Excel
- Provide field operators with information and instructions as required to enable them to carry out their jobs safely and effectively
- Monitor and interpret assay results from process streams
- Manage process samples and assays as required to control the PSC
- Actively seek more information and assistance from other sources as required to diagnose and correct any problems with operating equipment and processes (e.g. engineering, metallurgists)
- Understand and identify all relevant plant equipment items, processes and control systems; be able to explain these clearly to others
- Train junior operators in the safe and correct operation of PSC and related equipment items
- Other duties as directed by the Shift Supervisor
- Full Grade 12 certificate
- Diploma/Degree in Metallurgical Engineering or Equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the operation of Peirce-Smith Converters
- Proficient in the use of computers and standard computer applications such as Microsoft Excel
- Sound communication skills and the ability to write clearly and concisely
- Responsible and punctual approach to work
- Ability to follow instructions and to give instructions where required
- Good at implementing changes in operating practice
- Systematic monitoring and assessment skills
- High level of knowledge of plant equipment items and process
- Good problem solving ability
- EIZ and /or ERB
- MS office proficient
- DCS system