Website Orbis International
Changing the Way the World Sees
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Quality Assurance (MELQA) team is searching for an M&E Officer to provide technical MEL support to the Africa portfolio during project design and implementation. With regional presence in Africa, Asia, Latin America, it is critical to ensure that all M&E systems are nested within the Orbis Global M&E framework. The M&E Officer will play an integral role in these efforts by supporting country offices adapt the Global M&E framework to the country specific context.
The successful candidate will assist project teams with essential M&E functions that produce high quality data and learning for Orbis. As the liaison between the HQ MELQA team and the country teams, s/he will also provide technical support to guide project compliance. This includes ensuring project data is entered into the Orbis data management system in a timely manner, preparing reports, and monitoring project performance.
The M&E Officer works within a matrixed team of global colleagues, united by a common vision of a world where no one is needlessly blind – and we think data is key part of achieving this vision.
Working remotely (Based in Africa: Preferred location would be in one of the countries where Orbis has long term projects – Ethiopia, Ghana, Zambia, South Africa)
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The M&E Officer will report directly to the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Specialist. S/He works closely with all members of the MELQA team, the Global Program team and liaises closely with Country Offices in Africa, Information Technology (IT),
Development, and other relevant departments.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Assist country program/project managers to build projects in Indicata, the project management and monitoring tools of Orbis International (where Orbis does not have country M&E Manager).
- Develop data collection and monitoring tools as needed by project
- Provide training to country team on M&E technical skills
- Provide support to program/project managers to develop Data Quality Assessment
(DQA) tools and methodology as well as use of DQA tools for their respective projects.
- Support in compiling and analyzing quarterly and annual numeric data
- Take part in proposal development particularly in Theory of Change (TOC) and Log
frame development, and writing up of the M&E section
- Work closely with the country teams to ensure alignment and operationalization of the
MEL tools (baseline data collection, data flow, indicator reference sheet, performance
- Support the MERL specialist in monitoring of Orbis supported research projects and
ensure Orbis approval process is followed, and standard Orbis tools are in use when
developing research concept notes, protocols, proposal/budget, etc.
- Any other M&E activities as they arise
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in public health, statistics, economics, international affairs, social science, or international development
- Minimum 5 years of experience in leading, developing and managing M&E systems for the INGOs. Preference will be given to the candidate experienced in public health, health systems and eye health care.
- Knowledge and demonstrated proficiency in quantitative and qualitative methods, M&E planning, M&E system improvement, evaluation methods and processes, data use and data visualization.
- Experience working in Africa
- Working knowledge of basic excel and statistical analysis soft wares (Epi info, SPSS, STATA etc.) is desirable.
- Strong in the development of simple project databases (e.g., Excel or Access) and in data management
- Experience in participating in institutional strengthening and cohesiveness initiatives preferred
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate complex data in a simple, actionable way
- Excellent organizational skills: ability to manage multiple assignments and competing priorities
- Excellent quantitative analysis and data visualization skills
- Excellent oral communication and training skills to present information and respond to questions effectively
- Exceptional writing skills to effectively create clear and concise reports, strategies and/or guidelines
- Multilingual is a plus
- Flexible, pro-active, and open-minded work style: the ability to work productively both independently and in a team-based environment, in-office and remotely.
- Ability to travel internationally 20% of the time for extended periods