At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Pact seeks a Field Officer for the International Tin Supply Chain Initiative (ITSCI) programme. Pact is the field implementer of ITSCI, a traceability and due diligence programme for tin, tantalum and tungsten (3T) minerals, which is implemented so far in the DRC, Burundi, Rwanda, and Uganda. ITSCI assists mineral producers and exporters in the Great Lakes Region (GLR), and mineral buyers in the international supply chain, in performing their due diligence according to national and international law and standards.
The Field Officer will monitor mining activities at companies’ concessions and mine sites in the Southern Province as well as at companies’ facilities in Lusaka.
- Planning, organizing, and monitoring of field activities
- Report on any risks or incidents in the mineral supply chain through incident reporting protocol
- Conduct baseline studies at mine sites following Baseline Reporting Protocols
- Attend meetings with stakeholders as appropriate
- Identify and propose other mining sites in its radius of action for the extension of the project
- Provide daily security situation analyses of the sites and any other information deemed necessary for the proper functioning of the Project
- Record mine production, processing, and export data following ITSCI templates and procedures
- Draft and submit a monthly report of activities
- Maintain fluent communication with the supervisor and other project staff on activities on the ground, production trends, risks and incidents, particular challenges or needs for the project
- Maintain good relationships with relevant stakeholders, including company staff, state services and the mining community
- Document stories from the field describing the impact of the project on the mining communities
- Train stakeholders on ITSCI standards, traceability procedures on due diligence expectations
- Ensure efficient use of resources allocated to the field activities
- Perform other tasks requested by the project
- Undergraduate degree in Natural Resources management or other related field with at least three years of relevant experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and be able to establish and maintain good relationships with colleagues and partners
- Knowledge on OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas
- Knowledge of the Dodd-Frank Act, officially called the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, and its implication on the minerals supply chain in the Great Lakes Region
- Strong interest in ITSCI’s mission and work
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with training, coaching, and mentoring on field activities
- Ability to drive a motorcycle
- Demonstrated success implementing programming at the community level
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
How to apply
All applications with a motivation letter and CV shall be sent through the following email address: [email protected] not later than 9 August 2022 mentioning the position title as a subject to email.