Website Disability Rights Watch
Disability Rights Watch (DRW) is a Disability Service Organisation (DSO) whose strategic purpose is to ensure the effective inclusion of persons with disabilities in development. It therefore focusses on capacity building of Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) both at national and community level. DRW is also engaged in strategic advocacy, including litigation. This work includes the work of paralegals who provide legal support at community level through case resolution, mediation and referrals.
Starting second quarter of 2018, DRW will be an implementing a change project called “Enhancing Paralegal Services on Disability Rights in Southern Province” with support from GIZ under the Programme for Legal Empowerment and Enhanced Justice Delivery. DRW seeks to recruit a Paralegal Officer to be based at its soon to be opened Livingstone office.
The Paralegal Officer shall have the following specific responsibilities:
A. Community Awareness Raising
- Raise awareness on the rights of persons with disabilities within the community. This should be in line with the Persons with Disabilities Act of 2012, the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Raise awareness on the existence and function of the paralegal work in the districts of Livingstone, Kazungula and Zimba.
B. Capacity Building
- Coordinate the training of Disabled People’s Organisations on human rights with specific additional focus on the rights of children with disabilities.
C. Promotion and Protection of the rights of Persons With Disabilities
- Receive and manage human rights violation cases related to persons with disabilities and ensure they are resolved through mediation, negotiation or referral.
- Facilitate refer of all human rights violation cases with litigation merit to relevant institutions through the National Secretariat.
- Project management cycle.
- Capture lessons learned and best practices and develop internal mechanisms for knowledge sharing on the rights of persons with disabilities at community level.
- Represent DRW at community, district and provincial level meetings and other forums.
- Conduct any other tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Profile – Skills, experience and competencies
- Possess a minimum of Diploma in law. A qualification in social work or Disability Studies from any recognised institution will be an added advantage.
- Exhibit interest in working with persons with disabilities. Experience in working with persons with disabilities and their representative organisations is also relevant.
- Good writing, communication and presentation skills. Have good communication skills in the local language.
- Knowledge of working at rural or peri-urban community levels through casework.
- Efficient, thorough, systematic, organized
- Good interpersonal skills and should be a team player.
- Candidates already residing in Livingstone are preferable
- Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All interested candidates who meet the above criteria are encouraged to send their application letters with copies of their most recent curriculum vitaes with at least three references who can be reached during working by email to [email protected] Please ensure that you mention www.gozambiajobs.com as the source of this job advertisement.
The deadline for submissions is 20th April, 2018
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com