OPPORTUNITY: Private Sector Engagement Expert – Kwando Basin
WWF (The World Wide Fund for Nature) is an International Non-Governmental Organization. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature. WWF is working with companies, governments, communities and other partners in watershed protection and the sustainable management of shared water resources in the public interest through collective actions at basin level. WWF has worked on freshwater conservation for decades and is a strong advocate for responsible private sector engagement on water issues.
The position will focus on developing green business propositions, catalyzing bankable projects, for concrete projects on climate-smart agriculture, sustainable water management, food security and ecosystem restoration solutions. These should contribute to climate-resilient and inclusive developments. WWF facilitates public-private collaboration and attraction of investments that will scale up such climate action projects at the landscape level and attract investments both from investors within and outside of the landscape, while tackling the impacts of climate change.
WWF Zambia is now seeking to hire a Private Sector Expert for a period of 1 year funded by WWF Nerthlands under the Dutch Postcode Lottery Fund. The expert will play a pivotal role in engagement with the Government of Angola, private sector (Multinational Commercial organizations and Small to Medium Enterprises) NGOs, and universities to improve to understanding on access to finance for bankable projects, blended finance and envisioning of bankable nature solutions as a source employment and livelihood in view of increased development in the Kwando Basin. The expert will develop programmes and pilots in sustainable irrigation, aquaculture, sustainable charcoal and bee keeping and green energy solutions such as solar powered systems. The Private Sector Expert will be responsible for finding suitable leverage opportunities between local and international private sector resources.
You’ll be reporting to WWF Zambia’s Transboundary Project Coordinator and have frequent, direct and diverse working relationships and partnerships with external organizations at senior and very senior levels. You will also represent WWF Zambia in national and international fora where appropriate.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Identification of potential private sector partners with to achieve investment in bankable projects with sustainable outcomes such as stable job creation and improved livelihoods for local communities as well as enhancement of water resource efficient production systems.
- Lead the cooperate waterstewardship engagement front in the Angolan Landscape of the Kwando Basin.
- Creation and maintaining a strategic stakeholder engagement platform that and be able to provide input into design and development of the necessary program activities.
- Develop private sector driven business models in collaboration with partners from industry and private sector actors and lead at multitier stages namely; pilot project stage, refinement stage and evaluation for scaling up stage.
- Develop and implement an overarching strategy for private and public sector engagement that crosscuts the water, energy and food sectors.
- Creation of capacity building programs for public sector agencies to engage the private sector at a national and local level to discuss business licensing and resource mobilization.
- Facilitate strengthened linkages and collaboration between public, private, and academic institutions.
1. Develop bankable water solutions with corporate partners
- Lead in the development of project concept(s) in order to assess potential funding sources for implementing projects.
- Mobilize and liaise with local and international corporate partners and investors active or interested in transforming national business practices and investing in green development in the Kwando River basin landscapes, in collaboration with the relevant WWF Practices.
- Prepare and/or finalize scopes of work, budgets, and administrative information for contracts and ensure compliance with corporate partners and/or donor requirements.
- Analyze, research and create solutions
- Contribute to research and analysis related to the private sector, corporate fora and associations, pertinent institutions, non-governmental organizations, and governments in support of corporate collective action and water stewardship change in priority business sectors.
- In close collaboration with the WWF network Practices, keep up to date with existing and emerging water and supply chain analyses for use with priority sectors and bi-lateral partnerships.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in business administration, finance, Marketing, international development, agricultural economics, economics, rural development or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the private sector to public-private partnerships, leverage and mobilization of resources, and enhancement of inclusive private-sector driven growth.
- Demonstrated oral, writing and presentation skills in Portuguese and English Language are a must.
- Experience in implementing, entrepreneurship, marketing, and capacity building.
- Experience with multilateral financing agencies such as the world bank and African Development Bank will be an added advantage.
- Experience in the identification of potential private sector partners and formalizing partnerships that are mutually beneficial.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills and demonstrated ability to convene diverse stakeholders using participatory methods.
- Superior, demonstrated writing, reporting, and oral presentation skills.
- Experience in the Angola is required.
- Experience with public donors
- Strong financial and budgeting experience
- Experience of working with local offices, consultants and external parties, where necessary, to achieve desired outcomes
- Experience with working with people from different backgrounds
Desired Skills and Competencies
- Analytical, strategic; sees the big picture
- Proven organizational, diplomatic and negotiating skills that yield positive results on the sustainability agenda, especially as it relates to the finance and business world
- Strong ability to lead the implementation of large-sized projects, including working with and coordinating funding partners, third parties and users
- Ability to work effectively as a team member with a wide range of individuals across cultures and time zones
- Independent worker, pro-active in thinking about opportunities to further improve the work
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong interest in nature conservation and the mission of WWF
- Prior experience in assessing financial institutions and climate risks would be an advantage
- Adherence to WWF’s values: knowledgeable, Optimistic, determined and Engaging.
- Exemplification of WWF’s key behaviors: Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, and Innovate Fearlessly
The incumbent will report to the Transboundary Project Coordinator. As well as being an integral part of WWF-Zambia Freshwater Team, the post-holder will be expected to work closely with other colleagues in the WWF Zambia office, including the (thematic) project leaders and those leading on interventions in the Lower Kafue sub-basin, across programs. He/she will also work in close partnership with colleagues across the WWF Network, especially the water stewardship and Africa freshwater officers in WWF Netherlands and other relevant offices as such SA, US and UK and the Head of the Water Stewardship programme in WWF in Zambia.
Applications must include a cover letter and complete CV of not more than 5 pages with full contact details of three referees and should be addressed to the People & Culture Manager, via email to: [email protected] by Tuesday , 13th October 2020 at 17:00hrs.
Note CV and Cover letter MUST be in PDF form. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce