First Quantum Minerals Ltd
First Quantum Minerals Ltd has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- A Tertiary Qualification in Extractive Metallurgy, Mineral Processing, Control Systems or related;
- Eligibility for membership of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ), and to hold legal appointment as defined by the Mining Regulations of Zambia.
Core Specific Responsibilities:
- Assist operations with the implementation of new plant practices, operational procedures and new control philosophies.
- Participate and lead process performance analysis and improvements initiatives.
- Maintain, develop, expand and tune the installed advanced control system (Expert System).
- Monitor, control and report on process plant performance indicators, plant activities and operational shortfalls.
- Create, modify and update Process Analysis dashboards and tools for plant performance monitoring.
- Assist and advice Control Room personnel so automated sequences, control loops and advanced controls utilisation is maximised.
- Actively participate in the Continuous Improvement philosophy of the Process team.
- Be proactive so Processing Department consistently delivers and exceeds the main KPI’s of plant throughput, utilisation and recovery.
- Provide the Process interface support to the software engineer with regards to DCS, including but not limited to optimization of control philosophies, control loop tuning, alarm management, etc.
- Provide the Process interface support to the Instrumentation engineers with regards to field instruments performance, including but not limited to instrument positioning, calibration, etc.
- Ensure the Process Control team operates the critical in-line instrumentation & measurements (i.e. PSI & OSA), for real-time performance optimisation.
- Manage, maintain and optimize the performance of the following equipment and systems, but not limited to:
Metallurgical Sampling Systems.
Particle Size Analysers.
Online Rock fragmentation monitoring cameras.
SAG Mills Liner Protection and Charge monitoring system.
Flotation Froth Monitoring cameras.
- Ensure cost consideration taken with all decisions.
- Lead work with the FQM Way culture in the Process Control Team – “Smarter, Bolder, Driven;”
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Lead Process Control Engineer.
- Understand and execute accountabilities of legal appointment under Zambian Mining Regulations.
- Maintain HSE standards for self and team; including toolbox talk, planned tasks observation, “Stop, Think and Coach”, hazard identification and reporting etc.
- Ensure all Safety and Environmental incidents are addressed & reported promptly.
- Strong commitment to SHEC performance;
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability;
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills for identifying process shortfalls, equipment bottlenecks and implementing corrective and preventative action plans;
- Possess ability to analyse and understand complex metallurgical information;
- Strong understanding of metallurgical process improvement and control strategies;
- Possess the management discipline and perseverance to develop and implement medium to long term plans;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to assemble data and provide clear and accurate operational performance reports in both an upward and downward direction;
- Ability to maintain self-discipline within a stressful environment;
- Displays strong initiative and spirit for continuous improvement;
- Be diligent and thorough in approach;
- Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Knowledge and Experience required to perform in this job:
- A minimum of 6 years of direct experience in technical and/or operational roles of metallurgical circuits as a Metallurgist or Process Engineer.
- Extensive knowledge on the operating principles of Gyratory Crushers, Cone Crushers, SAG Mills, Ball Mills and flotation circuits.
- Demonstrable significant experience in large, complex base metals mineral processing plant(s), with a preference in copper circuits.
- Exposure to mineral processing plant design, circuit debottlenecking and metallurgical optimisation.
- Strong analytical and statistical skills.
- Proficient computing skills including Microsoft Office suite and Visual Basic.
- English language fluency.
- Previous experience with Advanced Control Systems will be considered as an advantage.
- Previous Experience with Siemens PCS 7 DCS systems and PI Osisoft historian is not required but will be advantageous.
Applications close: 12 Oct 2018 FLE Daylight Time