Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
The position is accountable to the Governance Program Manager for the delivery, effective management (which includes budgets and planning), monitoring and evaluation, and learning from the program.
Reports to: Program Manager-Governance
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Contract type: 1 year initially, renewable on availability of funding
Oxfam started working in Zambia in the 1980s. Since then, we have implemented both development and humanitarian programmes to support practical and innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty.
We work with local stakeholders to find lasting solutions to the root causes which keep people in poverty. Oxfam is currently collaborating with the Government, international and local CSOs, UN Agencies and other stakeholders.
Oxfam envisions Zambia free of extreme inequality and injustice; a society where citizens and particularly women across all age groups claim and exercise their rights and responsibilities and can influence decisions that affect their lives.
Our one country program aims to promote women’s rights, good governance and accountability, resilient livelihoods, as well as enhance preparedness, reduce vulnerability to disaster and ensure an effective response to humanitarian crises.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Zambian National who is dynamic, charismatic and credible leader with the following:
- Academic degree in a relevant area for this position
- Fluent in English (verbal and written)
- At least five years of experience in managing complex programs
- Excellent financial management skills, with experience of project budgeting and controlling financial risks;
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of implementing an extractives program/ tax justice program ideally built on mature understanding of relevant issues derived from field experience
- Strong programme management and quality knowledge, with ability to ensure consistent quality against standards and to implement effective monitoring and evaluation systems to assess and adjust performance
- Commitment to and good knowledge of working with a partnership approach across the spectrum of Oxfam’s work, including innovative approaches to capacity strengthening
- Good knowledge of and experience in developing advocacy and campaign strategies and plans and successfully achieving external impact and change. Some experience in undertaking media presentations
- Good knowledge of and experience with donor funding environment and good financial management skills, with experience of project budgeting and controlling financial risks
At Oxfam, we believe that every aspect of our work can lead to a positive outcome. If you have the same opinion, together with the ability to meet the challenges involved, this role offers scope for immense personal fulfilment – as well as outstanding opportunities to develop your career. Apart from salary, some of the benefits are medicals/leave/gratuity/life assurance etc.
Oxfam is committed to providing a competitive compensation package based on a 36 hour work week.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Deadline: Friday 22 February 2019
Interview date: week of 11th/18th March 2019
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.