Title: Programme Assistant
Job ID: 21945
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health – PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 24/03/2019
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
Education & Work Experience: G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 1 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: National Regular UN Volunteer
Posting Type: External
Bureau: United Nations Volunteers
Contract Duration: 12 months
Advert open to Zambian nationals only. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
The United Nations Population Fund in Zambia is currently implementing the Eighth Country Programme guided by analytical studies and assessments, and benefited from multisectoral consultations with the Government, civil society organizations, academia, the private sector, young people and United Nations organizations. It is aligned with the revised sixth national development plan, Vision 2030, the United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework, 2016–2021, and the UNFPA Strategic Plan, 2014–2017. The programme is results-focused and builds on the experiences of a targeted geographic focus. It supports national-level policies, programme design and nationwide interventions, while providing targeted support to marginalized population groups, and underserved districts in six provinces to ensure continuity and significant programme coverage. The programme’s priority areas are maternal health, family planning, HIV Prevention, Adolescent and youth development, data for development and population dynamics. The programme strategies include capacity development, knowledge management, policy dialogue and advocacy, and service delivery.
- Provide logistical and administrative support to programme implementation, ensuring that meetings and workshops are well organized and reports thereof duly drafted and submitted;
- Act as FACE focal point for the CO Cluster, ensuring timely receipt of accurate FACE requests and reports and reviewing IP requests for advances and direct payments;
- Assist in following up on performance indicators, targets and milestones, and preparation of progress reports;
- Support the generation requisitions in ATLAS;
- Monitor the expenditure ceiling of the country programme and prepare analytical reports on current and past expenditure trends;
- Monitor status of the Operating Fund Accounts of Implementing Partners;
- Contribute to the creation and sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches of the Country Office;
- Ensure effective implementation of the financial recording and reporting system, internal control and audit follow-up; and process financial transactions in an accurate and timely way;
- Act as Procurement Focal Point for the Country Office cluster, ensuring timely implementation of the CO procurement plan;
- Provide administrative support to the implementation of the Country Office communication and advocacy activities;
- Contribute to the creation and sharing of knowledge by synthesizing and documenting findings and lessons learned, success stories and best practices, strategies and approaches of the Cpountry Office;
- Support the advocacy and resource mobilization initiatives of the Country Office by compiling and synthesizing relevant background materials for use in discussions and public events relating the Country Programme;
- Maintain database of media, donor and public information contacts and provide assistance in organizing public information events;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the management of the Country office.
Furthermore, UN volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthening their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and taking active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Getting acquainted with and building on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflecting on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contributing articles/write-ups on field experiences and submitting them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc;
- Assisting with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UNV volunteers;
- Promoting or advising local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encouraging relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Documented good practices of providing administrative and logistical support, managing programme performance, monitoring project performance and following up on recommendations;
- Positively contribute to research, financial management, operational and procedural requirements of the Country Office;
- Positively contribute to advocacy and resource mobilisation efforts of UNFPA Country Office;
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
- Have excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Have the ability to perform well under pressure and flexibility in handling unexpected work assignments as and when necessary;
- Possess good writing and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Should possess a university degree in Development Studies, Public Administration, Business Administration, Demography, and/or other related social science field;
- At least one (1) year previous relevant programme experience preferably in an international organization;
- Have good working knowledge of MS Office application;
- Zambian national.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.
To apply please visit jobs.partneragencies.net.